If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The idea that the modern/next generations are too entitled

edited 2012-06-19 23:02:32 in General

Maybe there's some truth to it, but I'm getting seriously worried about the way people think of it when this is one of its manifestations:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/hire-me-to-bully-your-child21-real-craigslist-ad/

Of course, I know that this is a joke and no one's actually suggesting this. What worries me is the fact that the disgruntlement over this perceived trend has enough traction that this sort of satire is one of its outlets.

Comments

• I'm a damn twisted person

So this another thread for you to rage against satire?

• ^ -sigh- No.

Just worrying about societal trends.

• edited 2012-06-19 23:43:58
    It's nothing new. Plato's been saying his young men where hopelessly entitled.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

The idea that our generation doesn't have any issues or societal struggles is laughably dumb. Ignoring the current economic state we've gone through a second cold war against 'the terrorists'.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

cold war

Um...isn't that more of a hot war?

I mean, admittedly, most of the fighting hasn't actually been against people connected to anything we're angry about, but there's been fighting.

The first cold war had fighting too. Vietnam, Contra, Afghanistan...

• edited 2012-06-20 00:02:36
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

True. But it was called that because the opposing sides weren't willing to fight directly, and in this case they are.

• You can change. You can.

Yeah, that. the US and Al Qaeda were most definetly fighting a full on war. Except it wasn't a war because it implies that Al Qaeda could have won. Or that Iraq could have fought the invasion.

I suppose. My point was mainly that the same sort of paranoia gripped a good deal of our youths.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, your original point's totally valid; I was just being pedantic because I do that.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

It's less of a war and more of a "let's see how much shit we can throw at the wall before we get our lights punched out" thing at least on the side of Al Qaeda.

• Plenty of autists in the comments ponder hiring the guy if it was real. I think the main problem here is not the accusations of entitlement(you can never measure that for an entire generation) but the idea that 'tough love' is somehow an effective parenting method despite research to the contrary.

• I think "tough love" would need to be defined clearly.

But the idea that this generation hasn't had enough problems is just stupid. Not everyone has had an easy life or was sheltered as a child.

• edited 2012-06-20 20:47:46

Ties into rugged individualism. Since one generation bought into the myth that they roughed it out all by themselves, they apply that twisted mentality to the next oblivious to the unique challenges the youth face. I'm reminded of how so often, the response to people protesting that they can't get jobs is to "Get a job!"

And in regards to tough love, if you offer negative reinforcement, people are naturally going to behave in a manner trying to avoid that reinforcement, and that means becoming averse to risk-taking. I have no idea why people would think being aggressive would actually make their kids more ambitious.