If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Harem Fanfics

GAPGAP
edited 2012-06-16 14:50:48 in General

I may be complaining about stuff I don't normally read but I am beginning to see the general trends in harem fanfics. Usually, the character comes from some badass family, has a way with women (and men) and the usually become his true companions. The 'threats' are not usually threats but rather people need to become apart of the harem although with characters that powerful and inteligent, any 'threat' could be eliminated in a wink of eye. With that said, I don't really enjoy Kyon: Big Damn Hero, Blood That Flows, The Hill of Swords, Familiar of Zero and etc., it just keeps reminding why I cannot enjoy some harem shows. I cannot really stand the lead protagonists and his/her comrades as well as all sorts of harem cliches that they lampshade and play with.  I know'don't like, don't read' but it is easier said than done as I wil encounter someone talking about it in some shape or form.

Even in non harem fanfics I encounter this trend especially when you are dealing with characters from different universes going to another universe with different rules. One character could powerful in this universe but not so powerful in the other and some characters are too powerful evne if theya re in any universe. Does anyone else hate harem fanfics? Because they are starting to annoy me now.

Comments

• I'm a damn twisted person

Better question: Does anybody else feel masochistic enough to read through harem fanfics?

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

What's up with all the embarassing threads lately?

• I'm a damn twisted person

The internet destroys self awareness man. 

• It's silly wish fulfillment, what do you expect?

I'm still waiting for the formula variant in which the protagonist actively tries to pursue multiple dudettes by actively improving himself, then has to deal with the fallout of doubletiming.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I'm still waiting for the formula variant in which the protagonist actively tries to pursue multiple dudettes by actively improving himself, then has to deal with the fallout of doubletiming.

Kaminomi plays with this idea.

• edited 2012-06-16 22:43:24

• edited 2012-06-17 21:20:26
    Why do you complain about things you don't normally read, then?

That would be like me - one who lives in south-east Asia complaining about snow.

And why are almost all your threads about harems, anyway?
  • Well not all of them but after reading the trope pages, I am starting to see a pattern witht eh tropes being used. Maybe I hang out there too much but still I am getting somewhat annoyed with the tropes in the fics.

• Then by God, stop reading this shit.
  • Then write your own. It can only end badly.

• edited 2012-06-19 20:38:32
    Dear Lord. I just realized that I've been telling you this for GODDAMN YEARS.

Same threads. Same reasons. Same replies. Same admission of complaining about things that they only see rarely. Same disappearance after not really replying to anyone. Same thing happening some weeks later.

This has been happening since TVT's IJBM.