If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Swedish Supreme Court Overturns National Ban On Loli Manga

2»

Comments

• edited 2012-06-16 11:35:11
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@Nova: Do you know of the legal status of the book you describe?  I'm curious about it, and curious to compare it to the legal or other restricted status of books about committing murder and acts of terrorism.  I know at least one such book exists but I've forgotten its name.

I would wager that the Library of Congress almost certainly has a copy, but that's not quite your local public library.  Otherwise, the number of extant copies of such a book are probably few and far between because few publishers would be willing to be associated with such content.

Would be interesting if books like these were scanned, digitalized, and distributed on the internet.  In that case, people ought to be on the lookout for them and get them takedown'd ASAP.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Do you know of the legal status of the book you describe?  I'm curious about it, and curious to compare it to the legal or other restricted status of books about committing murder and acts of terrorism.

It is legal to be sold.

Amazon sold it at one point. They then stopped distributing it. They then started distributing it again, but stopped after there was a massive outcry.

• Any step, no matter how minor, is something that should be avoided at all costs.

Not true: it should be avoided in the sense that you shouldn't draw it yourself, but it certainly shouldn't be avoided "at all costs". There's very little that is to be avoided "at all costs".

I agree that it normalizes the sexualization of children, and that's bad, but it's no reason to ban it. Heck, there's plenty of things that we just accept that normalize the sexualization of children, too. To go as far as banning something it has to do some kind of actual measurable harm to someone, not just be out there in the culture.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I think the fact that the article was originally linked from Sankaku Complex illustrates most of the problems I have with this.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

To go as far as banning something it has to do some kind of actual measurable harm to someone

Toddlers and Tiaras

y u no banned?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

this i would like to know

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

It provides an outlet of agreement for upper-middle class mothers who want to live through their daughters vicariously and who actually have the means to fly their children cross-country and use them as virtual strippers because of their own perceived inadequacies insinuated by a sex- and material-obsessed media culture.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

you don't say

pee pee, doo doo, it is a bad TV show

• edited 2012-06-16 22:46:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Amazon sold it at one point. They then stopped distributing it. They then started distributing it again, but stopped after there was a massive outcry.

I think this is the right approach.

This is the sort of thing that ought to be legal but strongly disapproved of.

Just because something is legal does not mean that people should do it.  Same goes for a number of other things, such as protesting the funerals of soldiers killed in the line of duty.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The second line there does not really fit, as it's not so much horribly wrong as it is likely to get you fired for being a dickhead.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I removed that example since, while it's something that's technically in the same category, it's stupid for a different reason.