If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I don't like social commentary in my humor

edited 2012-06-14 22:08:48 in Philosophy

I never end up laughing at it. I just end up analyzing and digesting the social commentary part and leaving whatever joke there was by the wayside.

Also, it generally leaves me lukewarm in that it makes me think, "If you want to say something, just say it. Don't cushion your statement in a joke, it becomes inconsequential that way. Create some inertia for once."

Is that normal?

Comments

• I'm a damn twisted person

It's bunk  is what it is. A lot of time humor to point out how dumb or pointless some societal norms are by making fun of them is the only way to get people to notice stuff and have it stick. 

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

You're dismissing the entire form of satire as unfunny. And satire is awesome, and one of my most favorite forms of humor.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

If you want to make a point, you need to find a way to solidly communicate and humor makes hard things easier to swallow.

• edited 2012-06-15 01:04:48

^^ You're goddamn right I'm dismissing satire. Fuck South Park, fuck Frank Zappa, and fuck The Onion.

Colbert is okay.

• You can change. You can.

yes because picking examples you find particularly awful does denote exactly what bothers you about satire and not that you dislike those particular examples.

• I stated in the opening post what bothers me about satire. Those examples just embody and have variations on those basic problems.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Fuck South Park, fuck Frank Zappa, and fuck The Onion.

Colbert is okay.

So...what you actually meant is "there are specific examples of satire that I don't like."

• You can change. You can.

The point stands that the abrasive tone was unnecessary unless what you want is people dismissing your point of view by default. 

Either way, I think the complaints are rather subjective. They don't tell me anything that you think is wrong with the genre but the way you react to it and how your own mentality doesn't accept satire as a valid way of expressing a point. They don't tell me what is wrong with satire from your point of view or why South Park, the Onion or Frank Zappa are particularly awful people at what they do. 

• edited 2012-06-15 01:31:12
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Anyway, to use a good example of satire, A Modest Proposal wouldn't have gotten its point across so well if it had just said "hey, guys, not caring about people starving isn't cool."

• Fuck South Park, fuck Frank Zappa, and fuck The Onion

Wait are you legitimately saying there is nothing at all funny about the headline "Archaeological dig uncovers ancient race of skeleton people?"

Even when you don't "get" social commentary, satire usually works on the absurdism level.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

heh heh

skeleton people. 

• Poot dispenser here

I don't think social commentary is necessarily bad, but I say that as someone studying for a theatre major.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    theatre major

-high five-
  • As a reader of the Private Eye, fan of Have I Got News For You, lover of Yes Minister and enjoyer of FilibusterCartoons I must state that I rather disagree with the view given in the OP.

• Everybody does.

Let's let this thread wither, for all our sakes.