If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

LP Discussion Thread

edited 2012-06-10 17:16:14 in Webspace
"I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

A discussion for any sort of Let's Play you're conducting or watching, or Let's Players in general.

Recently, after getting hooked to pokecapn, I stumbled upon another group (or rather, pair) of blue blur lovers from http://www.youtube.com/user/RunButton (or http://www.runbuttonpodcast.com). This two cousins, Kyle and Keith, decided on November 2011 to celebrate the release of Sonic Generations with the official LP forums stupidest idea ever; playing almost every single Sonic the Hedgehog game ever. In order to prevent suicide by LP they have two rules: 

1. "Main" Sonic the Hedgehog games need to be completed. (These include the original StH, StH2, StH3&K, SA, SA2, SH, S2006 (They made a special exception for this one), SU, StH4:E1, SC, and SG (if they finish Sonic Generations three or more months after May 15th, they may play StH4:E2 as well)

2. Most (not all) Sonic the Hedgehog side games (which include everything else but the above) can be played until they stop being fun. This may include downright completion (Sonic CD) or less than one level (Game Gear Lightning Round).

In terms of commentary, they are very conversational, and sometimes talk very little about the game they're playing, and more about interesting news or whatever Keith wants to watch this episode  anything, really. Their conversations are really interesting and funny. They also have a podcast is you want interesting video game conversation with less anthropomorphic blue hedgehogs.

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-06-10 17:46:02

I just recently watched this one.  It starts out a little rough, but it's one of those nice cases where you can see the guy learning how to edit an LP properly as it goes on, and he's genuinely good enough to not get tediously destroyed for hours by a sadistic romhack.  And then it ends in him and his friends getting really stoned and reading bad fanfiction over a fast-forwarded 20-minute boss fight...

Also he sounds like Johnny Bravo.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I feel most LPs tend to be annoying as they tend to attempt an MST3K aspect to them, not realizing MST3Kwas actually pretty heavily scripted. LittleKuriboh's LP where he plays using his Marik character is pretty great, but I'm certain it's partially scripted.

• edited 2012-06-10 17:48:48
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

^^ I remember watching that run a couple years back since I'd not touch that hack myself with a 500 foot pole.  And yeah, after playing something this batshit insane, you'd probably deteriorate into such things too.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-06-10 18:01:46

I get the feeling he thought it would be boring just doing a run'n'talk since Saturn phoned in Tourian and it didn't really change other than metroids not dislodging from bombs and Mother Brain having like a fucking bajillion health and hitting like a quasar.  It was a good decision really.

I still giggle over Ridley asking "Smaus" to the dance.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

That's also a thing about Let's Plays sometimes you just run out of stuff to talk about. The God Hand LP I watched had this issue mid-way through.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-09-16 20:56:33

Are there any good LP's of Dragon Quest 5-7?  HCBailly and SA haven't gotten around to anything after 4, and the ones I've found on Youtube are pretty excruciating to watch.

I guess 6 isn't a high priority since I picked it up on DS as of late, but 5 and 7 at least.

EDIT: never mind -- I've since watched one of 5 (albeit an excruciating one), played through 6 myself, and found one of 7 on lparchive.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

I don't want to tell everyone news they probably have already heard, but...

The Game Grumps are probably the funniest LPers around, but that is to be expected from a group composed of two high-standing video game comedians.