If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Hey, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is actually trying to do something new.

edited 2012-06-09 14:36:38 in IJAM

Hey, it looks like Nintendo is actually trying to make New Super Mario Bros. 2 unique in some way.

The lives system is being done away with entirely, and while it isn't yet clear how, it seems that the game places a much greater emphasis on coin collecting than other Mario titles.

Granted, I would have probably bought the game regardless of changes to the formula, but it's nice to see an idea like this, since I was beginning to wonder how many more new ideas could really be done with 2D Mario.

Also, it gives me a chance to say this:

HEY HATERS, YOU WERE WRONG! NEENER NEENER NEENER!

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.

The lives system is being done away with entirely, and while it isn't yet clear how, it seems that the game places a much greater emphasis on coin collecting than other Mario titles.

Kirby's Epic Yarn would like a word with you about "unique". :P

• Getting rid of the lives system is just about the least significant change that Nintendo could possibly make to the series at this point.

I understand that that's not really the point of that article, but nevertheless they mention it like it's a big deal or something...

• In other news, I am a shameless fanboy. Hard to believe, but it's true.

• Yeah, they already joyfully threw enough at you that it didn't matter.  Might as well keep a death count as part of the level score instead of artificially constraining you with a non-constraint.

• a little muffled

The first NSBM already more or less didn't have lives, given that you could get five one-ups whenever you wanted by replaying the first level.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-06-09 15:30:57

Or any number of 1-up trick locations.  Or generally inundating you with 1-ups throughout the entire goddamn game.

Come to think of it, The Perfect Run was the last time I've actually felt pinched for lives since All-Stars, and that one level was very much the exception to the rule.

• Rayman Origins did away with lives entirely, but that's okay, the game is gutbustingly hard anyway.

As for this, the recent games gave out lives like it was going out of style. This may work out, it may not.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Rayman Origins did away with lives entirely, but that's okay, the game is gutbustingly hard anyway.

Which is still an improvement over the original game, which was both insanely hard, and had a severe shortage of extra lives.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

That's not really remarkable.  I mean, they gave out lives so much in that one, that lives were pretty useless really.

HEY HATERS, YOU WERE WRONG! NEENER NEENER NEENER!

How incredibly immature.  Besides, the sameness isn't my only problem with the NSMB series.

• Yeah my problem was that the mechanics made multiplayer obnoxious rather than fun once you got out of the easy worlds.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-06-09 22:08:02

Rayman Origins actually had a clever way of dealing with one problem I had with the multiplayer: Collision detection between the players is omitted for the most part except for helpful actions like giving a player a boost, so the players can stand on a small platform without being bumped off. On the other hand, you could slap each other like buffoons, but that's more about silliness than clunky gameplay mechanics.

In fact, you could easily say that Rayman Origins executed several ideas NSMB had in a more interesting and mechanically sound fashion, with better gameplay, visuals and controls.
  • Definitely not gay.

How incredibly immature.

I really doubt he was being serious.

• You can change. You can.

I'm not sure if "seriousness" is a value you can take into account here.

• Definitely not gay.

He's probably kidding is what I'm trying to say here.

still an stupid statement, either jokingly or otherwise.

• Definitely not gay.

Wait, how is it a stupid statement?

He was joking, which means he was deliberately acting childish for a laugh. I don't think it should be taken into account in an argument against him.

What I mean is that even if it was a joke, it's just the kind of unfunny joke that would be taken seriously, especially considering his previous comments on the matter.

• Definitely not gay.

I still don't think it should be counted against him.

• I honestly don't understand how anyone could take that whole bit seriously, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have made it more obvious that it was a joke. :\

• Definitely not gay.

Isn't it their fault for taking it seriously though

• So apparently this is what happens when you collect a million coins.

It's a nice reward. No it's not.

• No rainbow star

^ Not even a world where you can just collect coins non stop?

• Nope. it's just a different title screen.

Pretty crappy reward for something they hyped the living heck out of.

• Apparently Nintendo plans to release only one New Super Mario Bros. title per platform.

Given that they've made it clear that they're planning DLC support for NSMB 2, I find this somewhat interesting.

• Well if they're giving actual DLC instead of holding stuff already on your cart ransom, they don't exactly need more than the one.

• >holding stuff already on your cart ransom

I hope that the manufacturers don't do this. It's already bad enough on home consoles.