If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Meebo got bought by Google and is having their IM service shut down

edited 2012-06-08 22:50:51 in Webspace
No rainbow star

Really pisses me off. I was able to find a new one, but it is still annoying as hell. From what I can tell, that's the main thing it's known for. So WHY shut that down?

Not to mention that the log download service TAKES FUCKING FOREVER

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Google is buying out more stuff?

Ugh.

• a little muffled

Wait.

Isn't the IM thing...the whole site? What else does Meebo even do?

• No rainbow star
    ^ They recently added some sort of social bar that can be put on websites and annoyingly scroll with the page

I'm betting that Google was after that if not the IM (although honestly, come on, IM is Meebo's thing)

If anybody else here used Meebo, I found another site called imo.im
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What exactly was Meebo anyway?  Was it just yet another IM service, or what was special about it or its userbase?

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

It was essentially a web based multi IM setup, kinda like what pidgin and trillian do as standalone programs.

• No rainbow star

^ And it added a ton of chat programs, including Facebook and MySpace for some odd reason

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

They use the XMPP protocol (or, at least facebook does) much like gmail's chat thing does, so it's not really hard to throw them into the mix too.