If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

China forbids International Tourism to Tibet

edited 2012-06-08 09:10:50 in Politics
Champion of the Whales

After a wave of immolations by Tibetan monks (More than 30 since March 2011), The Chinese authorities have forbidden international visitors to Tibet. This isn't the first time that the tourist bans have been used by the PRC as travel is restricted each March. However the ban is less than a week after 2 monks self-immolated in the administrative capital of Tibet which is tightly controlled by the Chinese authorities and the ban coincides with the Saga Dawa festival.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Need to be logged in to view that page.

• Champion of the Whales

Ooops put in the wrong page

Should be viewable now

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Sorry, the page you requested either doesn't exist or isn't available right now!

Okey, working now.

• edited 2012-06-08 09:15:50
    Champion of the Whales

Well, I changed the link to a telegraph piece anyway

Edit: Anyway, for those who don't know, the Tibetans have been revolting against the Chinese for well over a year now, hence the self immolations.

• edited 2012-06-08 12:01:39
    Loser

Whale,

“Tourists will inevitably be carrying cameras and phones, and [China] really doesn’t want them – and the world – to see people setting fire to themselves.”

I think I might understand why China would want to stop foreigners from seeing the unrest in Tibet, but I feel like people outside of China would be more likely to be at least kind of familiar with the problems there as compared to those who actually live in China and experience its censorship. Anyway, that article said that tours of Tibet were heavily restricted in the first place, so I am not sure that this will really change much.

I do find the self-immolations really sad though. While I guess some people view them as courageous acts, inflicting intense suffering on yourself like that does not really sit well with me. I think some of the stuff that this article mentions is especially disturbing, e.g., people wrapping themselves in barbed wire to make it harder to stop their self-immolations.

In any event, I honestly know very little about the situation in Tibet and I would be glad to hear what other people who actually know stuff (like yourself) think about it.

• All I can think about is said monks going; "OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT FIRE THIS WAS A REALLY BAD IDEA OH SHIT WHY DID WE WANT TO DO THIS AGAIN"