If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Browsers' "New Tab" pages

edited 2012-06-08 04:20:42 in Webspace

So a new version of Firefox came out a couple days ago. It seems they've finally jumped on the bandwagon of featuring thumbnails on the "New Tab" page to let you open various websites.

One thing I don't understand about this feature: Why do browsers make it a pain to, you know, choose what sites you want listed there? It seems like every browser, instead of starting with a blank slate, tries to pre-fill them based on which sites you visit most. Which wouldn't be so bad, except there's often no readily apparent way to manually add sites.

Why is that? It pretty much renders the feature useless to me, and makes it a pain because I constantly have to delete sites I visit often but would be embarrassed to display there.

Comments

• edited 2012-06-08 11:10:18
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I like Firefox because it gives me blank new tab, actually.

I am annoyed at Opera because it DOESN'T let me set the new tab to default to about:blank.

...does anyone else not have a homepage (in other words, use about:blank as their home page), or is it just me?

• There is love everywhere, I already know

No homepage either, it's much slightly more convenient I think, less distraction.

I was totally going to update my Firefox until this... can't you just turn it off?

• You can change. You can.

Chrome updated its browser so you can custom that feature. It's pretty cool if a bit of a hassle, really.

• edited 2012-06-08 11:32:41
    Kichigai birthday!!

I just have Google

^^Yes you can and it is pretty easy

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Problem solved then!

• edited 2012-06-08 13:41:28

Safari for me has always presented every new tab as blank. I wouldn't have it any other way. I often open tabs when certain people are around to make it look like I wasn't really doing anything at all. (This is less skeevy than it sounds. I'm talking about situations as simple as "Ok, there is my mom, I don't want her to realize that I just keep tabs and tabs of car pictures up, she would say it's pointless and unproductive, blank tab!")

And blank tabs do not strain the computer in any way.

Neither does not having a homepage. I don't quite have one anymore. I mean, my "home" button sends me to iGoogle, which I have a long and complex history with. I let myself get forced into it years ago and once used to actually use some of its thingys, but I have long since stopped caring about any of them because my computer can do the job of all of them much better in other ways. I only like it at this point for the gmail message counter, which is still the simplest way for me to know if I got new mail without having to open Apple Mail, though it's also not perfect and doesn't count certain things.

The problem with iGoogle is gchat, which takes a few seconds to load even if you're not signed in, and on my computer it's more than just a few seconds, and it slows everything else down. This had often made me reluctant to open new windows, despite the fact that I kind of need to open new windows often because I prefer not to have more than five tabs per window. I found out how to set new windows to open blank just like new tabs. I didn't expect that this also meant I lost my homepage upon opening Safari, because apparently that's just another form of opening a new window. But that's actually pretty awesome. Opening the internet used to be synonymous with sitting and waiting for a little bit. Now I can get right to whatever I want without fear of freezing everything.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> And blank tabs do not strain the computer in any way.

This is why I use blank tabs and blank home page.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Blank is too dull for me. And about sites you don't want other's to see! Use Chrome Pr0n mode.

I think Cloverleaf is talking about people seeing the sites as she is browsing them.

• See, I wouldn't mind having the thumbnails on the "New Tab" page if I could customize what appears there--basically I want it to be another bookmark bar. But for some reason the browser thinks it knows what sites I want to visit better than I do. >:(

(This is less skeevy than it sounds. I'm talking about situations as simple as "Ok, there is my mom, I don't want her to realize that I just keep tabs and tabs of car pictures up, she would say it's pointless and unproductive, blank tab!")
    Hahaha, I'm the same way. Half the time I have obsession-related things like pictures of grocery stores or road signs and I'm like "can't let Mother see that."

• a little muffled

See, I wouldn't mind having the thumbnails on the "New Tab" page if I could customize what appears there--basically I want it to be another bookmark bar. But for some reason the browser thinks it knows what sites I want to visit better than I do. >:(
    I'm sure if there isn't an extension for this now there will be soon enough.

• ^^Not really on-topic, but there was a recent Consumer Reports issue where they did a whole big grocery store rating and I thought of you. (I could remember the last time they rated them. Publix topped the charts, I believe. It came in third or something this time.) And then I started looking some chains up in Wikipedia and I still felt like I was firmly in your territory. Do you ever contribute your retail photos to Wikipedia? I think they're worthy enough.

More on topic: When at work, basically anything that's not my school email ("I have important school things to handle!") or an obvious part of my research is worth hiding with a blank tab when my superiors come by. Including this forum. :P

• probably human

The only thing I ever notice about my new tab page (chrome) is that it has a pretty sweet picture of Saber. I never use any of the links provided. 

^ Why does it have a sweet picture of Saber?

• Because he put it there, presumably.

Like how back when I actually had my own working computer, my new tab page would have... some K-ON! picture, I think.  Can't remember which one, apparently.  Or even if it was K-ON!.  Some anime at least.

Okay, rephrasing:

How does it have a sweet picture of Saber?

• You can change. You can.

Chrome allows you to customize your new tab background page.

• probably human

It's just due to the theme I'm using. Some sort of Fate/Zero thing. Makes everything a pleasant shade of red.

• edited 2012-06-08 23:07:53
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Does any version of Firefox newer than 3.6 let you download and store personas locally?  And more than eight of them at a time?