If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Something Awful

Comments

• It's Web 2.0 combined with post-post-modernism.

Can we just skip ahead to where expressionism comes back in vogue?

• You can change. You can.

Expressionism is never in vogue, dude. Unless you're German.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well, how about memes, image macros, FourChan being a wretched hive, that sort of thing?

Yeah, my issue is more with the term "internet culture." Mostly it's more that each site has its own culture (sometimes more than one), with the internet as a whole kinda being a place where you see aspects of all of them. If I'm making any sense.

I think of it as pop culture. Everybody in the world knows about Superman and Mickey Mouse, for example, but only people of a certain region/interests know, for example of Diomedes Diaz or Manuel Belgrano

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Most people outside of Australia have no idea who Steve Irwin is, for example, while he was really well-known in Australia.

• edited 2012-06-04 22:11:38
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^True... to continue that metaphor, I think of it as kind of like the difference between knowing who Superman is and reading Superman comics, if that makes any sense.

Most people outside of Australia have no idea who Steve Irwin is

Pretty sure that isn't true.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I don't think I've ever met someone who doesn't know who Steve Irwin is. Even if they don't know the name, most people know the show here.
  • edited 2012-06-04 22:18:17
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the guy from Crocodile Dundee? In my experience, most people confuse the two.

• edited 2012-06-04 22:20:51
    You can change. You can.

^^True... to continue that metaphor, I think of it as kind of like the difference between knowing who Superman is and reading Superman comics, if that makes any sense.

Pretty much. I remember at least one argument (Hell, who doesn't? It's like such an inevitable argument when discussing Superman) where the whole "Superman isn't cool because he's overpowered thing" comes around, which only happens when one of the involved is only familiar with the pop cultural impression of the character rather than the stories in which he's actually involved.

^Nope. I do know who Steve Irwin is and I live in culo del mundo, latin america.

• edited 2012-06-04 22:19:34

Are you sure you're not thinking of the guy from Crocodile Dundee? In my experience, most people confuse the two.

Yes INUH and Forzare (and I) know who Steve Irwin is.  He had, like... several TV shows that were pretty popular.  His death was on the news and everything.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Everyone I know around my age group knows who Steve Irwin was.

• edited 2012-06-04 22:21:37
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

He had, like... several TV shows that were pretty popular.  His death was on the news and everything.

huh

he had more shows than just The Crocodile Hunter?

^ again, huh

you guys are weird

Nah, he just had a couple of specials and a guest appereance in The Fairy Oddparents.

• Well there were a couple spinoffs of The Crocodile Hunter but I guess yeah that was the only really big one.

He had like three shows, the Catholic channel here passed them all. They are pretty big on social issues, scientific education and ecology.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Everyone my age watched The Crocodile Hunter. I vaguely remember him having another show but I can't remember anything about it for the life of me.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Man, you guys are more up on this than most Australians I know. That's... pretty sad.

-googles-

Oh yeah, Croc Files and Diaries. I definitely watched those too.
    Man, you guys are more up on this than most Australians I know. That's... pretty sad.
    i weep for your people
  • Has friends besides tanks now

I didn't watch Irwin's show, but I know who he is.

I just wikipedia'd the fuck out of Steve Irwin, actually.

I did know who he was before (Honest!)

A lot of the people I know really only know him through pop-culture osmosis here. Very few people I know actually saw his show. mostly because i didn't know a lot of people who had a TV but whatever

I just wikipedia'd the fuck out of Steve Irwin, actually.

I did know who he was before (Honest!)

What the fuck? Don't they show nature shows in colombia?

I did know who he was. I just didn't know if he was in other shows besides The Crocodile Hunter.

• Not only do I remember Steve Irwin very well, but I also remember his wife Terri came from not too far from here.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Everyone I know knows about Steve Irwin. Maybe not by name, but pretty much everyone has heard of the "Crocodile Hunter" or "that insane animal guy who was killed by a ray".

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

This reminds me of the term "crikey!", and how Australia can be both a cultural singularity and alien to itself at times. A lot of Australian lingo is accurate to previous generations, but my generation presumably considers it unbecoming and therefore does not use it. If you're a young person, especially in the cities, then commonly accepted Australian cultural traits can both seem extremely distant and be known as true things. 

To me, this begs the question of whether the Australian identity is undergoing a process of change. Previous generations created a series of buzzwords, phrases and ideas that don't really sit well with my age group. Things like "She'll be right, mate" in reference to just about any problem, for instance. It's a trivialisation, because so often she won't be right and problems will continue to snowball if not confronted. There's also a tendency to shorten both improper and proper nouns whenever possible, or even extend them for some bizarre reason -- the number of men here named "John" but referred to as "John-O" is mind-boggling. Likewise with other comparable names. "Steve" becomes "Steve-O" quite often. 

Australian culture is bizarre and, even though I've been surrounded by it all my life, I'm not entirely comfortable with it. As much as our various industries have made us economically advanced, I consider the culture here quite "backwater" in a lot of ways, although things are changing.

• Champion of the Whales

Wait a minute,

Aussie people still use the word "Crikey"?

Mostly when we want to take the piss out of ourselves, in my experience.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Largely. 

But as I said, previous generations were much more enthusiastic about that kind of thing. 

• Champion of the Whales

I see,

Well, its fallen out of use over here if you care