If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Mitt Romney did something

edited 2012-06-01 19:12:52 in Politics
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think he, uh, was out campaigning.  Something Donald Trump or whatever.

Oh, and he won the nomination.  Or something like that.

...yeah.  Whatever.

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'm really fucking tired of the whole election cycle. Is anything at this point going to change anyone's mind?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

It's less about changing minds than about convincing people to actually go vote, which most people apparently don't care enough to do here.

It's having the opposite effect on me, really. If voter apathy were a power source I could solve the energy crisis at this point.

Note I'm still going to go vote, just not because I think it's the do-or-die thing most people seem to be making it out to be.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I've never really liked anyone involved in US politics enough to vote for them.

• edited 2012-06-01 19:58:15
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I treat politics as a strategy game.  Because it is one anyway, at least for those people who are heavily involved, especially as wealthy donors or other influential people.

I vote the way that's more likely to get my preferred policy objectives achieved.  Sometimes that might involve going through unintuitive steps, such as supporting candidates who oppose your policy objectives because they are less inimical than the other candidates, or voting in the primary of the party whose position you dislike in order to either encourage a better candidate or to nudge them toward a worse candidate, depending on the situation.

Yeah, and I hate RTSes too.

• "I treat politics as a strategy game. Because it is one anyway, at least for those people who are heavily involved, especially as wealthy donors or other influential people."

That's a pretty damning indictment of politics if there ever was one. And that gives voting far too much credit to the point where it feels like a form of slacktivism.

>voting

>slacktivism

...wow..... you actually just wrote that.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Voting is just one of many ways to influence politics.

Of course, all of them require time and effort, and sometimes money.  Even voting.  Which kinda sucks.