If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• TIL the famous and prolific entrepreneur known as Charles Ponzi may not have intended his scheme as a scam, but as a legitimate investment opportunity.
    I just saw a documentary about him. Interesting person, someone who wouldn't let things like failing at everything all the time stop him from pursuing glory.
  • I've noticed I'm becoming increasingly more sensible to people being wrong on the internet.
    It's one of those things that make me feel I'm getting old.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    If any of you has spare million dollars, I am told the Peruvian navy is selling a cruiser.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Oh, and after Eighties nostalgia (not really a thing in here as much as in the 'States, but a bit of it still happened), and Nineties nostalgia (definitely more of it on the Web for obvious age-related reasons), there's now early 2000's nostalgia, and to an extent even early 2010's nostalgia.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    A thought:

People are naturally inclined to talk about unusual and interesting things. And on the internet we get to meet so many different people. So by interacting socially on the internet, we are exposed to so many signals of fun things we might be missing out on. Far more than we would typically be exposed to in meatspace.
    ^ Like, sort of soaking in trivia the way you wouldn't do otherwise? Or not, since you mean people, but it's close to what you mean too.
  • edited 2022-02-19 01:34:56
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I think that may explain why the internet is so distracting. It basically fills our immediate environment with social signals that suggest we're missing out on so many things.

Social media companies in particular do this intentionally.
  • I got to see live something close to doxing, the part about gathering information about someone to use it against them. It's surprising how much people are downright eager to tell about themselves, just Google one little thing you know about the target and among the first results will be some social platform with much of what you need to know plus another set of keywords for another search.
    Now I'm curious how much info can be found about myself.
    hey @lrdgck do you know enough Russian/Ukrainian to tell whether the translation offered here is accurate?
    idi na khui if I get it right. I wouldn't be able to translate, but knowing the official translation I can cay, yeah, that sounds about right.
  • edited 2022-02-27 20:40:15
    You know how the letter i is already taken for current so electrical engineers use j to denote the imaginary unit when working with complex numbers? I now choose to believe that they're working with quaternions instead but always stick to the plane with x=z=0
    TIL it's "quaternions", not "quarternions".

At first I was like, isn't that what complex numbers kind of are, then I got the joke.
  • edited 2022-02-28 20:54:50
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Thought of the day: it's all fun and games to "identify" as an attack helicopter until they send you to Kharkiv
    lel
  • edited 2022-03-01 06:38:22
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Today I learned that which amuses,
    though, good enough, not I, for uses:
    A meter penned by Scottish muses,
      called standard Habbie.
    And so I'll try and make excuses
      if this is tacky.

Unfort'nately I don't know Scots
    so all I have to write my thoughts
    is boring standard English lots
      to write my poem.
    Ain't great at this; the li'l I gots
      won't fill a tome.
    FYI i had to use the em space (copied from here) to get those to indent properly https://www.brunildo.org/test/space-chars.html
  • edited 2022-03-01 18:07:30
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I was about to say you're better at poetry than I expected, but then I realized I don't actually find it unexpected for you to be good at poetry. I'm not sure how that speaks about either of us.
    It took me way longer than I expected to come up with just two stanzas of that.

I prefer iambic pentameter. I get more words to work with.
    Random thought: I wonder by how much productivity of a statistical worker fell, now that everyone in here follows news from Ukraine during working hours instead of, you know, working.
  • edited 2022-03-05 00:15:04
    I've had three blackouts in three consecutive days at roughly the dame time of the day, I'm concerned this might become a daily thing.
    How do you guys deal with it anyway? Keep around power generators and/or power banks, or just do your stuff by candle/daylight? I figure it's hard to code all day when half of the day your computer doesn't work.
  • Mainly doing stuff by daylight. It's rare for the entire city to be unpowered at the same time so that's an opportunity to do some errands or visit someone with power. Power generators are now commonplace so there's a good chance you'll be able to do whatever elsewhere. If at nighttime you're probably better off trying to get some sleep. You can also do stuff on your phone for however long your battery lasts.
    I do have an UPS but I've noticed the battery is running out kinda quickly, I guess it's getting old. There's also that out-of-country uncle's household next door that's not connected to the same power circuit and it's rare for both homes to be unpowered so I can go there for lighting, air conditioning and to charge up phones.
    So, there are ongoing cases of Ukrainian refugees hosted by Polish families trying to repay the favour by making pelmeni.

If this goes on, the old joke about a guy "forgetting" to tell his basement Jew the war has ended is gonna get an update, feels like.
  • You'd think the prospect of getting fired from my job would've made me more eager to stay productive and look up more ways to earn a keep, but nooooope.
    I think I'll quit Reddit for a while.
    nice avatar btw
    Does it mean you are fired or about to be fired?

Anyways, what was your job, remind me please? I remember a few of your workplace stories, but they sounded more like a family business, so I guess I missed a post or two.
  • nice avatar btw
    Heh. What can I say, I've collected some nice pictures over the years.
    Does it mean you are fired or about to be fired?
    About to be fired... alright, maybe that's an exaggeration, but without getting into details, I should expect a more unpleasant workplace and less household income.
    Anyways, what was your job, remind me please?
    It was, umm, fixing computers. Yeah, let's go with that.
    Sorry to hear about that.
    Well, I hope you will continue fixing computers to much accolade and accomplishment.