If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    I don't know the show, but I assume it's one of those characters that I can safely say it's good to be inspired by them.

I mean, I hope that by approving it I'm not saying anything like "I don't know who this Hitler guy is, but good for you anyway".

Also, passed the final exam. Gave me equivalent of B+, they did. Caught me on some errors, so I was curious how they saw me in the end. Phew. I guess I'll have less on my head for a while now.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Congrats.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    thnx m8
  • lrdgck wrote: »

I mean, I hope that by approving it I'm not saying anything like "I don't know who this Hitler guy is, but good for you anyway".

She is basically Satan.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    lrdgck wrote: »

She is basically Satan.

No, she's someone who wants to save her best friend but the forces of destiny pretty much actively conspire against her to thwart her every attempt.
  • Focus on a select individual rather than people in general is plenty evil in a super hero show with overt religious influence, even if it ended up being helpful.
  • edited 2017-06-22 14:16:59
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Focus on a select individual rather than people in general is plenty evil in a super hero show with overt religious influence, even if it ended up being helpful.
    Huh?

She gained the one power game-breaking enough to actually solve the problem and the forces of destiny (or what I can basically summarize as that, without going into spoilers) conspired to make sure she fails, and on top of that, to make sure she fails harder the harder she tries.
  • And all of it was from personal attachment rather than altruism or anything resembling a sense of morality.
    And all of it was from personal attachment rather than altruism or anything resembling a sense of morality.
    What exactly is unaltruistic or immoral about wanting to save one's friend from a horrible fate of being turned into a destructive monster for a Faustian bargain?
  • edited 2017-06-22 14:33:06
    She wants to save Madoka, not make things better for people in general. Madoka destroying the world didn't seem to affect her any worse than Madoka just dying.
    It's not that far off from selfishness, just that the one person she puts before everything else isn't herself.
    She wants to save Madoka, not make things better for people in general. Madoka destroying the world didn't seem to affect her any worse than Madoka just dying.
    It's not that far off from selfishness, just that the one person she puts before everything else isn't herself.
    > Madoka destroying the world
    how? / citation needed
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Homura is a good Satan though, like, the world of Madoka is pretty much not a place where moral people will get through stuff well (unless it's Madoka herself but y'know, spoilers). So she picked an "attainable" goal and stuck with it.
  • edited 2017-06-22 14:56:30
    6FMP68P.jpg
    But that's not Madoka wanting to destroy the world. That's Madoka's witch form. Which only happens if Homura fails to prevent Madoka from contracting her soul to Kyubey.

Furthermore, it exists outside of the proper timeline, and it was only revealed late in the series. So basically it went like this:
    1. Homura gets resetting powers. She can therefore save Madoka.
    2. Screw with #1 by making sure that she fails every time, so that she has no way out of this, despite her powers. She still has infinite resetting powers though.
    3. Screw further with #1 by making something (i.e. the power level of Madoka's witch form) that gets progressively worse, every time she tries again, and make it exist outside of the proper timeline such that Homura can't reset that either.

Damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

Only proper response at that point is for Homura to screw with the cosmic forces that are screwing her -- be they the magical girl system, the Incubators and the way they work, or for that matter, the story writers themselves.
  • edited 2017-06-22 14:57:28
    But that's not Madoka wanting to destroy the world. That's Madoka's witch form. Which only happens if Homura fails to prevent Madoka from contracting her soul to Kyubey.

I'm not discussing Madoka's motivations. I'm pointing out that the world getting destroyed didn't concern Homura any more than the times Madoka just dies. And it's not out of practicality, she doesn't even act sadder.

And there is no "proper" timeline. Madoka became super powerful because they're all linked together.
    by making sure that she fails every time

Didn't her original personality just suck so much at this that she had to transform herself entirely (into the devil <_< >_>) to get what she wanted?

"What she wanted"=/="Saving the world"
  • Also she actually suggested destroying the world together with Madoka, and was only against it after Madoka objects.
    I hate how Vanilla doesn't update the thread when one posts a comment.

Also I edited my previous post.

I'm not discussing Madoka's motivations. I'm pointing out that the world getting destroyed didn't concern Homura any more than the times Madoka just dies. And it's not out of practicality, she doesn't even act sadder.
    They're both failures anyway.
    And there is no "proper" timeline. Madoka became super powerful because they're all linked together.
    Okay, if you prefer a different wording: the proper chain of cause and effect.

Homura gained the ability to reset time for the entire world, herself included. So why does there suddenly now exist something that she can't reset?
  • edited 2017-06-22 15:01:34
    by making sure that she fails every time

Didn't her original personality just suck so much at this that she had to transform herself entirely (into the devil <_< >_>) to get what she wanted?

"What she wanted"=/="Saving the world"
    only if you count Rebellion I guess
    Also she actually suggested destroying the world together with Madoka, and was only against it after Madoka objects.
    citation needed
    also, there's a thing called "saying things while feeling frustrated"
  • edited 2017-06-22 15:03:25
    She suggests both of them destroy the world minutes earlier in the same episode.

And Homura as a magical girl cannot reset anything. If they were reset than the previous timelines should simply cease to exist rather than connect with later ones.

No, seriously, during the flashback episode 1st Timeline Homura is like this meek little thing who can't really even imagine doing half the things Final Timeline Homura does.
    She suggests both of them destroy the world minutes earlier in the same episode.

And Homura as a magical girl cannot reset anything. If they were reset than the previous timelines should simply cease to exist rather than connect with later ones.
    "Connect with later ones"??

Everything in the world is reset, with the exception of the fact that Homura is now a magical girl and she also remembers everything.

Except, of course, the one detail that was added later, which is that Madoka's witch form becomes a bigger universe-destroying chaos orb.

No, seriously, during the flashback episode 1st Timeline Homura is like this meek little thing who can't really even imagine doing half the things Final Timeline Homura does.
    She doesn't transform herself into the devil in the TV series.
  • edited 2017-06-22 15:14:27
    It's outright said in episode 11 that Madoka's power level is due to the connections between different timelines.
    Everything in the world is reset, with the exception of the fact that Homura is now a magical girl and she also remembers everything.

There's a few hints that this isn't the case and the timelines were always different independent of Homura's actions or Madoka's power level, like the exact details of Junko breaking up and Kyoko's characterization (there's at least one time when she comes to Mitakihara despite Mami still living, which the Kyoko you usually see would rather not do).

I meant figuratively, the outward physical manifestation later is just a representation of how she's done things so far.
  • edited 2017-06-22 15:19:30
    It's outright said in episode 11 that Madoka's power level is due to the connections between different timelines.
    Yeah, so basically a big "screw you" to Homura was added in after-the-fact.

There's a few hints that this isn't the case and the timelines diverge in things independent of Homura's actions or Madoka's power level, like the exact details of Junko breaking up and Kyoko's characterization (there's at least one time when she comes to Mitakihara despite Mami still living, which the Kyoko you usually see would rather not do).
    Is there anything clarifying this aside from vague hints? How can these not be explained by a butterfly effect? And even if they can, they'd be just features added in to prevent Homura from succeeding.
  • edited 2017-06-22 15:22:59
    Doesn't change how if everything was simply put back the way it was earlier, there wouldn't be other timelines to connect to.
    Is there anything clarifying this aside from vague hints?

Of course there isn't. The show never bothered to be all that clear about how anyone's powers worked. But there's no reason these differences would happen if things were just sent back to exactly where they were at the start rather than Homura going through timelines that were different from the get-go.
  • How can these not be explained by a butterfly effect?
    Butterfly effect wouldn't have changed Kyoko's mindset in such short time.
    they'd be just features added in to prevent Homura from succeeding.
    That would require rejecting that rules about how things work are even valid or at least assuming the existence of some unseen force that's capable of conscious decisions despite never being shown.
  • edited 2017-06-22 15:38:49

I meant figuratively, the outward physical manifestation later is just a representation of how she's done things so far.
    She's aloof, uncommunicative, and (after a while of futile trying) willing to try cutting her losses to some extent. Quite far from being a devil.
    Doesn't change how if everything was simply put back the way it was earlier, there wouldn't be other timelines to connect to.
    But the fact that there can a connection between multiple timelines presumes the existence outside of time of that mechanism that allows Madoka's witch form to become infinitely mechanism, in the first place.
    But there's no reason these differences would happen if things were just sent back to exactly where they were at the start rather than Homura going through timelines that were different from the get-go.
    So why are they different? I mean, do we have a plausible way to go from this extra-temporal mechanism to making these changes?
    Besides, we're not actually shown these timelines fully so one can't firmly conclude that it isn't a butterfly effect.
    The show never bothered to be all that clear about how anyone's powers worked.
    This is one of my criticisms of it and part of why I think it'd be better served if there were showing rather than telling and also more episodes to actually do that showing. But this is an aside to the current dispute.
    That would require rejecting that rules about how things work are even valid or at least assuming the existence of some unseen force that's capable of conscious decisions despite never being shown.
    Except, as you noted, those rules aren't properly explained anyway. Instead, they're basically applied however the writers feel they need to apply them.
    Peace Bear is clearly not working out. Do I have to form a drum circle in a heavily gentrified neighborhood or something?