If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I just realized to open a page in a new tab rather than right-clicking a link then left-clicking the Open Link in New Tab you can use two right-clicks instead. For some reason I feel this is going to make browsing much more comfortable.

Is it possible to do this without using the right click at all?
  • Huh, yeah. You can middle click once and it works. I actually forgot about it, maybe because one of my previous mouses' middle clicks stopped working.

Now I can use a highly efficient amount of clicks while browsing dank memes.
    Is there a way to do this using left clicking?
  • I guess technically you can right click the link, copy the URL, click the Go Back arrow, open a new tab and paste the URL.
  • Got a new job. Not anything big, just keeping watch over some place, but it'll leave me with a lot of free time for stuff.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Night shifts are the best. Nobody bothers you.
  • Is there a way to do this using left clicking?

Click and drag the link to somewhere on the tab bar. It works in Firefox anyway.
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    Dutch lore: https://thump.vice.com/en_us/article/gabber-children-netherlands-hakke-zage
    Extra funny note is that they now have a Free Your Mind festival featuring all sorts of dance acts. Didn't know where that name came from, but it's hilarious it's a parody of the EO scare documentary. 
  • I just learned about aphantasia (that thing where you can't literally picture things in your mind). Makes you wonder if there's some condition you don't know you have that makes you see (or not) the world in a different way than most people. My brother had an experience like that with colourblindedness.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    So I've been Wojaking a bit recently. I wanted initially to say sadfrogging, but, you know this stuff: "this party sucks, music is too loud, my feet hurt". In my case it's a paid foreign visit which caused me to miss out on a party and these kinds of shizzle.
  • There's going to be more parties to go to, hopefully.

Anyhows, I started doing something horrible. I've begun learning Portuguese. Or rather, I'm reading this book in Portuguese a Brazilian prof. gave me, but learning some Portuguese will be an unfortunate side effect.
    Awkward: I wanted to show the horns to a pigeon that was run over by a car, but gave it the finger instead. I intended to make one gesture and somehow made another.
  • more like flipping the bird amirite?
    I was asking for it, wasn't I.
  • Note to self: Lighter fluid evaporates too quickly to feasibly put one of those cheapo lighters' fuel into another. The little valve wick thing opens clockwise. Don't forget the lever must be set to be able to press the valve's tube upwards.
  • I'm usually careful when scratching phone cards, worried not to make the numbers illegible. It feels silly, but now it came up when I thought it'd be a good idea to scratch one with a screwdriver in a poorly lit room.

Guess I'm going to have to guess what the scratched numbers are (64 or 256 possible outcomes, depending on how you count).
    So, this has been a pretty eventful week, seems like. Terror strike in France, coup attempt in Turkey, and it turned out global economy depends on Pikachu.
    On a less funny note, yet more shit is happening in the U.S. -- three police officers were killed and three others wounded in Baton Rouge.
    I would say terror strike in France wins on the scale of unfunniness, but that too.
  • I was thinking about the Turkey one. But yeah.
    Plus an axe attack in Germany, for which ISIS has claimed responsibility. 
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Axe? Guat.
    Doesn't compare, but we now also have midlife crisis dads and skins without a scene forming local chapters of Soldiers of Odin. Don't know how much new blood this is, Blood & Honour and Racial Combat Force 18 and groups like that came and went, so the core folks probably keep moving on every time, but still, faux pagans are always a hoot. 
    Somebody should finally tell them they aren't real soldiers of Odin unless they long for death in battle.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'm really sick of this "Shareholder Revolt" PR spin. It doesn't mean multinationals aren't hoarding all the world's money, it just means shareholders are fighting to get more of a cut now (and their cut is already massive).
  • I just finished Mathematics for Computer Science. I got a grade of ~64/100

I began doing 4 courses, but without being forced to follow a real schedule I ended up getting messy and instead decided to do it summer style (one intensive course), I did this one first since it's the one I like more. I was supposed to do it in a month, but I got sloppy. I'll need better disciple from now on.

Geometry didn't prepare me for this. I struggled with number and graph theory, although I think I understand them well now. Not so much counting sets. Probability is supposedly the harder one, but I found it easier than the rest, not that I don't find it trippy, what with most exercises being some counter-intuitive thing.

Although I struggled at times, the grading is lenient and thus getting a passing grade wasn't hard (a grade above 50% (D or above) is a passing grade, right?), though there's the obvious issue that I'm grading myself and miscellaneous stuff such that I didn't even know recitations were graded until well into it, and I'm guessing that ends up giving me a higher grade, but on the other hand there was supposed to be a grade re-normalization that obviously doesn't apply to me, so maybe that kinda makes up for it. I didn't do as well in the final as I had hoped, though.

Anyhows, I once thought that most things of interest you could do discretely you could do better and cleanlier continuously. With all the discrete-math-related fields I've learned about and how to apply their stuff, I think I've found a newfound respect for discrete math.

Overall I really, really liked this course. I hope there's more like this.

Besides the course itself, I've noticed that the pensum is much more flexible than ours (we only require 3 electives, with everything clearly delineated on a per-semester basis). Fortunately since I already went through this I get to enjoy that freedom without getting lost. On the other hand I've always noticed how there's very little interaction between prof. and students during lectures, but I presume that has to do with these things being made for YouTube. Also I've had trouble with not being able to just walk into the library and ask classmates stuff, or if necessary, the prof.

Also, whenever
    I see a prof. running out of space in a black/whiteboard I get a déjà
    vu thing about a pharmacy. I dunno what it is but I've had it for years
    and it's weird.

And it's weird that I feel the need to talk about this when I didn't feel the same about real-life courses. I guess that's one of the things about online

Anyhows, on to Introduction to Electrical Engineering and Computer Science I.
    Oh, and there's some mall shooting in Germany.

You know, around here there's a joke that we're really behind the curve. Every Western country has had its share of terror bombings, crazy Muslim fanatics, whatever - and we? Nothing.

----

^ I've found out Yale university has a share of free online courses. Took one or another. Too bad I never quite get around to listen to it to the end.
  • edited 2016-07-23 00:04:08
    "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    Good take that tries to connect all these acts: http://www.orchestratedpulse.com/2016/07/lone-wolf/
  • ^^ The Stanford ones are pretty good, too. I don't think they have complete courses, but many of NPTEL HRD's lecture videos are good, too.
  • So I found out about Chuggles. I hoped he'd changed, but he's still the judgmental drama queen he was here. University life hasn't sit well with him, either.