If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Youtube doesn't retain loaded video data

edited 2012-05-19 10:45:45 in Webspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

For example, you watch a video that's 5 minutes long.  You've seen it the whole video.  You've just left the window or tab open.

You leave the computer.  Five hours later, you come back, and you are no longer connected to the internet.  Well, at least we had that video we saw earlier; we can rewatch that.

nope

Comments

• edited 2012-05-19 10:48:29

It retains loaded data for me, usually.

Anyway, can't you just skip to where you left off?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

it has to reload the data.

Actually, I just checked something.

If you finish watching a video, then want to rewatch an earlier bit of it, it will STILL have to re-load the data.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    It's kind of wonky. Sometimes it has to reload, sometimes it doesn't.
  • It's been happening consistently to me lately, with or without disconnecting from the internet.

Also, it often happens that the timeline marker stops slightly ahead of where I'm currently watching, but it's still streaming and I can advance anywhere by clicking repeatedly to where it shows that it's already been streaming, but clicking elsewhere makes it load.

Well I cited being disconnected as proof that it actually tries to re-load the video from the Youtube server anew.

• It often doesn't pre-load the data either.  This was a huge problem when I was living in an apartment with no internet connection and basically had to open up everything I needed for the rest of the night before leaving the library.

I saw the Heapers' Hangout thread about exactly that and was reminded that Youtube also doesn't retain data that was loaded earlier.