If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Stop labeling stuff, just be free, etc."

edited 2012-05-19 09:45:52 in Philosophy

Who says labeling has to automatically be a bad thing? My Pandora playlist isn't going to sort itself.

In seriousness, though, I don't think labels themselves are bad. It's the asshole who abuses and misassigns them that's the problem, and I think the title phrase has become a cliche at this point.

(moving to philosophy category. ~GMH)

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think the human mind automatically categorizes things in order to make sense of information through associative patterns.

It's just a matter of whether you keep an open mind that things in said categorizations may or may not be typical of things you know are in that category.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'm really just not big on political labels because I feel they're restrictive and put expectations on you to unilaterally agree with a certain mindset.

Really I think the only labels that are good are the ones you give yourself.

• The labels get to the point where people who like labels have to assemble all labels that describe themselves, like calling themselves anarchist-libertarian-whateverist.

You want an example of how bad this can get? Just ask tnu.

• edited 2012-05-19 03:24:39
    Diet NEET

^^Counterpoint: Deadpan Snarker.

• Ninjaclown - That's been going for a long time. There was one late 19th century anarchist writer who claimed she was "simply anarchist" because at the time all the others were claiming to be "anarcho-syndicalists" and "anarchist-communists" and so on.

I'd agree that the labels you choose are preferable to the ones other people  apply to  you.

• edited 2012-05-19 06:48:33

I'm really just not big on political labels because I feel they're restrictive and put expectations on you to unilaterally agree with a certain mindset.

I can see what you're getting at here.

Really I think the only labels that are good are the ones you give yourself.

Although, I don't completely agree with this part, considering...

The labels get to the point where people who like labels have to assemble all labels that describe themselves, like calling themselves anarchist-libertarian-whateverist.

^^Counterpoint: Deadpan Snarker.

• Things are what things are, and we never really truly know everything that things are. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

label1.Text("I think I missed the point of this thread.")

• edited 2012-05-19 10:44:29
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I did too, because I categorized it, and not as a joke.

• edited 2012-05-19 11:30:54
    Loser

I feel like one problem with labels is that it is tough to control what meanings people attribute to them. I mean, you might self-label and use a certain term as a point of pride and then see other people using the same label engage in behaviors you dislike. I also think using labels for people can make it pretty easy to stereotype and speak for other people when you really lack the authority to do so (e.g., speaking on behalf of all women, liberals, Muslims, athletes etc.).      

I agree that labels do serve some legitimate purposes, but maybe it is better to say stuff like "a person who is conservative" instead of "a conservative person", in order to emphasize the individuality of people instead of the labels that might fit them.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, labels are used for many things, including:

* stereotyping others

* identifying yourself with a group

* identifying yourself as separate from a group

* making assumptions about people you expect to be part of a group but otherwise don't know

* mocking people

* team spirit

* and much more!

• No rainbow star
    Labels keep me from mixing up, say, vinegar with water :D