If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Mature Themes in Lower MPAA Rated Movies

edited 2011-03-20 18:38:39 in Media
Both of these themes in media and works generally confuse me to a small extent, due to how unformulaic they are.

It came to me when I realized that Bruce Almighty was one of the first PG-13 movies I've seen that used the word "fuckers" in it. Sure, it was once, but then it got me to thinking, would there ever be a PG movie that used the word "fuckers"?

There were a lot of movies I thought of that were pushing their rating a bit, but got away with it depending on the years or the extremities of said actions.

Such as the first Shrek movie, which was PG. It wouldn't make sense to be PG-13, but it did seem more intense than most other PG movies I have seen. I am not sure if there are other movies that push their limits and are allowed to get away with some things that most family settings would've approve. Does the MPAA have guidelines to what confines a certain movie to a certain rating? I have been wondering since the first NC-17 movie I saw was "A Dirty Shame" which stared Johnny Knoxville and the girl from Hellboy, whose character's name was "Ursula Udders". I wondered, is the only thing that can shove a movie into the NC-17 category is extremely profane sexual content?

Also, unrated movies. Unrated is the new Rated R I assume.

Comments

• ...This is not how I expected Rin to act.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Sockpuppet thread?

Either way, there's a bit about the differences between ratings on the MPAA website, here, but it's very vague.  They don't make it sound like the ratings are all that strict.

I don't remember there being anything particularly "intense" about Shrek.  Mostly seemed like standard PG fare, where violence and "dirty" jokes were concerned.  I mean, there was that Lord Farquaad/Fuckwad thing, but nobody without a very specific British accent would get that; I didn't notice it until it was pointed out.
  • In the MPAA rating for NC-17, it mentions "aberrational behavior", and something from D&D instantly came to mind. Beyond that, I am not too sure what they mean by that exactly.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I think it's a fancy way of saying deviance.  Still vague, though.
  • Thirteen, Full Metal Jacket and Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas could have been easily categorized as NC-17 in my opinion, but I am guessing it wasn't deviant enough and didn't have enough themes in it to be extremely mature to merit that. I am sure the sales would suffer as well if they were put into that category.