If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Obnoxiously high-priced houses

edited 2011-03-20 17:53:37 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
3 bed 2 bath 1960s house with 1-car garage in Manchester, Connecticut: around $250,000
3 bed 2 bath 1960s house with 1-car garage in Howard Beach, New York: around $750,000

Comments

• [insert comment about being afraid of "the grown-up world" here]
  • My dad says a condo the size of our current apartment in New York would be 1.2 milllion bucks easily.

Shit in New York is expensive. My dad blames the exorbitant taxes over there.
  • edited 2011-03-20 19:04:55
    > My dad blames the exorbitant taxes over there.

Actually, property taxes are typically lower or on par with stuff around here, only occasionally higher.  It depends on where you live, though.

Consider this: Both of those houses that I mentioned have yearly property taxes around $6000, give or take a thousand.  (Note also that the Manchester house would, for that price, have a FAR bigger lot than the NYC house.  FYI, Howard Beach is in southern Queens, just west of JFK airport.)

Now, if you live in certain parts of NY state you might also be assessed a village tax, but that I know from looking at properties in Valley Stream, NY (a town just east of JFK, and not actually part of NYC).  You have $300K-$400K houses being charged around $5000-$6000 in basic property taxes, with another $1500-$2000 in "village taxes".

FYI I think the basic property taxes are assessed at the city or county level in NY; I know they're at the city level here in CT.  The village tax actually pays for certain services such as increased police presence: Everyone within the "incorporated village of Valley Stream" (not all of Valley Stream though) has to keep their cars off the roadside at night, and then police actually patrol the streets and investigate street-parked cars for criminal activity.  Of course, if you don't live in the incorporated part, you don't have to pay for that, and you get to park on the street overnight too.

That said, the basic property taxes can sometimes be FAR lower in NYC.  There's this one condo that we found that's priced at $400K.  A house around here for $400K would have about $7000-$8000 in yearly taxes.  That condo's yearly taxes: around $1000.

At least, that's what the realtor's listing sheet said.

Now, the real reason that property is so damn expensive in NYC, especially in Manhattan, is because there's just SO DARN LITTLE SPACE, and so darn many people (and families) each want their little pad.

In other words, in the words of Recette Lemongrass:

Capitalism, ho!

So, feel free to tell your dad that I replied to his comment to you.
  • «Shit in New York is expensive. My dad blames the exorbitant taxes over there.»
    It's not.  It's supply and demand: More people want to live in New York than in Shithole, Alabama.
  • My dad is a firm capitalist, and will not take anything that dares not to deify it seriously.

Even though he is affected by it; he is always worrying over bills and money, and has to go without a lot of things so my mom and I can live rather well. Here it is, Capitalism sucking his money and making him worry so much, and yet he is still a firm believer in it.
  • edited 2011-03-20 19:20:04
    Market forces are some of the coolest things in the world, there's no doubt about that.

It's just that market forces, by themselves, tend not to be very nice.  Or even minimally merciful.
  • Where are you looking for homes at, and who is the seller? Does it come fully furnished, is it in a good neighborhood and is the land worth a bit high?
  • edited 2011-03-20 20:07:23
    For a good neighborhood, go to South Windsor, CT, and the house will be worth around $300,000.

Maybe $350K in West Hartford, CT.

Why do you ask about the seller?
  • 750,000 for a three bed? Think I'll just get a bachlor pad, thanks. 
  • Hey everybody, frog753 here under a new name, the name I'd prefer to be known by. Anyway...

This topic bugs me too. Having spent my entire life in Simsbury, CT, I've always known the home prices GMH is talking about. Every time I see prices in major cities...it's ridiculous.

Everyone looking for value should aim for more outlying and rural CT towns like Canton or Granby. Pretty cheap and beautiful surroundings, if a bit far away from stuff.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Vernon, Bolton,...

Unfortunately, if you or a parent has a job in a place like NYC itself...
  • Oh yeah, that is a problem. Fairfield County seems to be pretty unreasonable. The closer you get to the city, the worse things get. Also, potentially being on the shoreline doesn't help either.