If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I can't stop my friend from using the n-word.

edited 2012-05-13 20:43:02 in Meatspace
He's Malay - a south-east Asian ethnicity - and a big fan of hip-hop music. He doesn't understand the context and the conflict and the history behind the slur, thinking it just another thing peppered into the cant like "shawty" or "paper" or "bling." We don't live anywhere near the place of this term's origin.

He's used the word on me and several others (Chinese at that), claiming that since other rappers used it on Eminem, it should be safe for him to use.

I don't know what to do.

Comments

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I think that it's okay to say jokingly, when you're just screwing around. Just make sure to tell him not to say it around any black people.

• edited 2012-05-13 20:46:06
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Let him do it, the euphemism threadmill and the n-word privilege are a whole load of bollocks. The historical context of any word does explain its power as a tool for offense, but what gives it is power is that people care about it as a tool for offense, remove that from the equation and it loses all meaning.

• Dump a good blog in his direction that explains why it's hurtful and debunks the most common counter-arguments for its use.

Else, I wouldn't really bother, just use social ostracization as a tool if he gets annoying.

• Back in Black

Find the equivalent racial insult for his ethnicity and draw a comparative analogy.  If he doesn't stop after that, he's hopeless. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

IJBM: The lack of racial slurs that apply to white folk. "Snow nigger", while amusing, doesn't really count. Call me immature, but as much as I avoid racial slurs, I find them childishly amusing, too. They're very silly words. 

• Back in Black

I always laugh when people call me a "wetback," myself.  Because then I get to explain the origin of the word and they're usually like "oh, that's lame.  Well, nevermind, I guess." 

^^ There are things like "cracker", "whitebread" etc.

Those are pretty lame, though. 

I'm a wog and proud of it.

Wait wait wait. 

How do you know that term? I thought only Australians used "wog" to denote someone of Eastern European descent. Funnily enough, it's not really considered an offensive term here because the Eastern European stereotype is more associated with the term "muzzer", whereas "wog" is like an internal word used by Eastern Europeans themselves. 

I know many things.

/shades off

YEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• They're somethin' else.

I hate that I find this video funny.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

'Slav' and Jew' are intitial slurs. As is Yankee. Can't say they bother me.

That said, I don't get bothered when someone calls me a kyke, though that may be because of a position of power, yadda yadda.