If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Knowing about weird fanfiction

edited 2012-05-12 01:18:02 in Webspace

And I don't mean weird in the usual ways, like crack shippings or Dragon Ball Z-Anne Frank crossovers. I mean weird in more subtle ways.

Like the guy who uses his horrible Evangelion smut to impart moral and ideological lessons.

Or the guy who writes a sequel to his Lucky Star fanfic that follows the main characters' daughters, who are all OCs, and I imagine he'll be writing about their children too, like a multi-generational Icelandic saga.

It's hard to explain the weirdness of this stuff, though, or at least harder to explain than "DOBBY'S GROINSAW MELTED THROUGH RON LIKE DEMONIC BUTTER!".

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Fanfiction as a thing fascinates me.

And the fact that so much of this weird crap exists is half the fun.

• It's hard to explain the weirdness of this stuff, though, or at least harder to explain than "DOBBY'S GROINSAW MELTED THROUGH RON LIKE DEMONIC BUTTER!".

On a quasi-related note, I would like to state my opinion that Thirty Hs is Internet in pure distilled form.

• The multi-generational saga thing I don't really see as that weird.  I grew up with Redwall, so yeah.  I mean Lucky Star wouldn't have been my first choice (something like Golden Sun would make more sense for that), but whatevs.

I've seen some unusually esoteric stuff out of pony fiction.  Like, unusually esoteric even for the Internet and written coherently.

• You can change. You can.

My personal issue with fanfiction is that writers often, I feel, get the character's voices wrong, as well as the general feel of the work. but meh, i figure this isn't always true. but i really don't want to make an effort to find exceptions.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    I'd argue that the feel of fanfiction shouldn't have to be the same as the original work, but changing or poorly portraying someone else's characters is plainly inexcusable in a serious fanfic.
  • You can change. You can.

Yeah, like I said, it's a personal preference.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

"You horny simpletons" or "die you Navi cocksuckers" are worthy of my memory, I think.