If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Greece Elections (5/6/12)

edited 2012-05-05 10:10:31 in Politics
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Greece is kinda fucked right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17950294

They're facing the worst economic crisis in their modern history, one that's due to a myriad of factors and not easily explained. Needless to say, there have been a rash of austerity measures that only served to fuel the flames of protest. And now that the vaguely center-right government has been seen as killing the country in a sea of debt, Greeks are very likely to vote in anybody that is thought of as an extreme reaction to the current government. Which is why far-left and fascist parties are becoming more popular than ever.

I really don't know much about Greek politics, but it would serve us good to at least see what happens in the elections tomorrow. Unfortunately, I can foresee the fascist parties gaining traction, especially due to their harsh stances on immigration. Many European countries don't like "immigrants" much at the moment.

Some helpful links.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/05/20125291733265576.html

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/spotlight/eurocrisis/2010/12/2010126185626194882.html

Comments

• Champion of the Whales

The left is expected to win but one of the leftist parties has said they won't form a coalition with anyone.

Also tomorrow, the French presidential elections is happening with Hollande expecting to win

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Well Hollande is most likely winning that one, so not much more to discuss other than if he's really going to be better than Sarkozy (yes).

• Aside from the current crisis, Greece has had something of a history of political instability. In the late 40s/early 50s there was a civil war between the US/British backed Royal government and Communists, then in the late 60s the monarchy was overthrown by a group of right-wing Army officers who established a military dictatorship for several years. Some of these fascist guys are survivors of that period.

Basically, I think a lot of Greece's problems are similar to Italy's. Relatively short history as a unified country; history of weak central government that lacked general respect; a lot of political corruption and quasi-feudal hangovers; tax evasion like you wouldn't believe.

Tl; dr - this goes deeper than the latest economic crisis.  

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

The only thing preventing the rest of the Balkans going up in flames like Greece, despite same problems and a similar background, is the fact that they, being young democracies, unlike Greece, still have a cryptoauthoritarian system where the ruling party keeps tabs on all the business of the state and basically prevents any political movements which have the potential to pose a threat to the regime from springing up.

So, the far right has got nothing better to do than punch people at football games, and the far left is too busy getting stoned at the campus. Although I think that an overthrow of the Greek regime might definitely spread the revolutionary sentiment. Which may or may not be a good thing.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I'm not aware of Serbia's economic situation, but since it's not a member of the EU it's fairly divorced from what's happening in Greece and the larger Eurozone crisis. So Greece has a much higher probability of voting in more radical groups, especially given the fact that there's a largely reactionary but acceptable sentiment to get rid of whoever is in office right now and replace them with a more radical politician. The main reason the fascists have a high chance of getting in power is general anti-immigration sentiment. 

• Champion of the Whales

The main reason the fascists have a high chance of getting in power is general anti-immigration sentiment.

Not quite

The fascist party has been handing out food parcels to the Greek poor

And that.

The worst thing is that the Golden Dawn, the Greek fascist party, isn't even fascist in the sense of the usual far-right European parties trying to portray themselves as more innocuous, but still getting classified as fascists. These guys are as open about their fascism as Hitler was.

• Champion of the Whales

These guys are as open about their fascism as Hitler was.

Wasn't Hitler openly fascist though?

He was, of course. What I said was that European far-right, nationalist parties usually prefer to distance themselves from fascism, which they tend to be accused of, but the Golden Dawn is an exception. They even go so far as to use Nazi rhetoric, symbols etc.

• Champion of the Whales

European far-right, nationalist parties usually prefer to distance themselves from fascism

Yes I know they do, which leads to hilarious incidents of the BNP using a Spitfire from 303 squadron in their material. 303 squadron was a Polish squadron

• As I pointed out in my thread on the London mayoral election, the BNP candidate for that is originally from Uruguay. This is pretty hilarious for a party that hates immigrants (and tends to deny that this is just because the immigrants are mostly black or brown). He got 28,000-ish votes, by the way, which is pathetic out of a population of 7 million.

"The Golden Dawn", by the way, was also the name of the English "magic order" where Alasteir Crowley first made his name in the 1890s.

To me, "The Golden Dawn" sounds like a cliche name for a mysterious organization from an RPG or a fantasy book.

• ^ Come to think of it, didn't I kill them in The Elder Scrolls IV?

[Google]

No, that was the Mythic Dawn.

On-topic, I found this quote particularly interesting:

Yet still, what largely went unreported in Christoulas' case was that his suicide note called for an armed uprising, for "young people with no future to... take up arms and hang this country's traitors." The disparity between the note Christoulas left behind and national media coverage widely condemning the skirmishes that followed his death and funeral as violent is exemplary of an official discourse that has largely obfuscated the root causes of the crisis.

• I once read a fascinating book about them - basically, the whole organisation was founded on some massive bullshit about secret magical documents "found" by one of the men who set it up, and it fell apart, with much drama, when this was revealed to be bullshit. All the main people, including Crowley, then stormed off and set up their own groups.

Actually, it was a lot like a really bad internet forum, except with long, angry letters instead of wall-of-text posts.

• If the fascists get in and Greece starts World War III, I hope we get to blow up the Parthenon. It'd make for a super-cool set piece in the video game.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Somewhere there is a posse of architects/architecture nerds riding out to kick you for saying that. Thankfully they will probably be stymied by a another group of architects/architecture nerds who have a hate on for Greek/Roman architecture. Still though, architects want to find a way to use your bones for a doorframe now. 

Well, it already blew up in 1637 because some genius Ottomans thought it would be a good idea to store all their ammunition there.  

And just in case you were wondering how much Golden Dawn wants to be the Nazis, here's their flag:

• Champion of the Whales

Hollande won

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

...the French Presidental Election

• Champion of the Whales

Update on Greece:

With 11% of the vote counted, centre-right New Democracy is in the lead with 22%, down from 33.5% in 2009.

Centre-left Pasok is in second place with 16%, down from 43.9% in the last elections. Syriza, a left-wing coalition, is in third place with 15%.

Yay for Hollande!

But let's return to Greece - according to the polls held at the ballot locations, New Democracy is the first, SYRIZA is the second (yay for SYRIZA!) and PASOK is only third. The Nazis will enter the parliament.

Source.

Damn, ninja'd.

If there's another PASOK/ND coalition government, man, there will most certainly not be good times in Greece tonight. The opposition is so fragmented that even if the winner only gets ~30% of the vote, they'll still end up with 50+ seats (50 extra seats are awarded to the winning party).

• Champion of the Whales

PASOK leader Venizelos declared that they cannot form a legitimate government with New Democracy with so low percentages. I quote him: "May the god of Greece help us"...

From another forum

But even if they get just 20%, the winning party is guaranteed to get a big boost, thanks to the whole 50 free seats thing.

• Champion of the Whales

Update

With 35% of the vote counted, centre-right New Democracy is in the lead with 20.35%, down from 33.5% in 2009.

Centre-left Pasok is in third place with 14.10%, down from 43.9% in the last elections. Left-wing coalition Syriza is in second place with 15.79%.

:

• Champion of the Whales

Update:

With half the votes counted, centre-right New Democracy is in the lead with 20%, down from 33.5% in 2009.

Centre-left Pasok is in third place with 13.8%, down from 43.9% in the last elections. Left-wing coalition Syriza is in second place with 16.06%.

Its looking like New Democracy are going to win this election but they wont be able to form a coalition.