If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Blogger/Blogspot is owned by Google

edited 2012-05-03 13:41:15 in Webspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I was just going to go there to start a blog, but I was greeted by a Google Accounts login page.

Fuck you, Google; I want to control my accounts individually.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So I want to start a blog, but...

* I'm concerned that LiveJournal looks too unprofessional, but I am most comfortable with its potential audience because I can reach out to the many fanbases in the LJ community.

* Blogger is owned by Google, which is annoying.  But more importantly, it and WordPress are more professional-looking but also have less of a built-in community so I have to convince readers to create accounts to comment.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Tumblr? *shrug*

Isn't tumblr that service where you can do chainofrandomwordsandstuff.tumblr.com?

• edited 2012-05-03 14:59:10
    But you never had any to begin with.

Yes. The URL gives it away a little. :P

• I had a WordPress blog (now abandoned) which only ever got two comments, one of them from my Mum. I thought the layout of the blog was OK, though

All I know about tumblr is that it seems to be the blogging site of choice for really annoying leftists, PC fanatics and crazies generally and that I find it really difficult to read.

• Tumblr is fun, but their whole EVERYTHING IS ABOUT SOCIAL JUSTICE shtick gets old quickly.

I mean hell, I'm liberal as fuck and I'm annoyed by this stuff.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Blogspot? People still use that?

Joking aside, Glenn, I personally suggest that you use either LiveJournal or WordPress since they seem to be the two best all-rounders for your needs. Tumblr might not be a bad choice either, but if you don't also get an account on Disqus then it'll be very hard for people without Tumblr accounts to leave any comments.

• edited 2012-05-03 16:20:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What is Tumblr anyway?  Is it more like LJ or more like WP?

And what is WP good for anyway?

And what's Disqus?

I've only ever used LJ so that's what I know.

• a little muffled

I'd guess Tumblr is closer to LJ, but "Twitter without a character limit" would be a better way to describe it, or at least how it tends to be used.

• edited 2012-05-03 16:54:14
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

What is Tumblr anyway?  Is it more like LJ or more like WP?

Hard to say, since Tumblr has always been a rather unique site (and not just in the sense of its community). The system is designed to make it easy to share not just typical blog posts, but also images, video and audio. It's also hugely customisable, and the reblog feature is a very convenient way for people to share other people's Tumblr posts with their friends and such. At first I think it mainly appealed to people who wanted their own website, but with all the convenience of a social network. However...

I'd guess Tumblr is closer to LJ, but "Twitter without a character limit" would be a better way to describe it, or at least how it tends to be used.

That sounds a lot more like it, yeah.

And what is WP good for anyway?

The main advantage I can think of is the sheer popularity the platform has gained over the years (WordPress isn't just the most popular blog software on the Internet, it's the most popular content management system overall), so if you want to do something that WordPress can't do by default then chances are that you can find a plugin for it.

And what's Disqus?

Disqus is a site which provides remotely-hosted comment systems for embedding on other sites. Like the homepage says, it is indeed feature-rich, powerful and easy to install — especially if you want to install it on Tumblr.

• Tumblr is the Elemental Plane of Fandom. Near its border with QUILTBAG is the Social Justice Mememorphic Expanse. Power Word YOLO spells receive a 50% boost in efficacy.

It sounds like Livejournal is what you're looking for though, if you can swallow the bitter pill of a somewhat unprofessional veneer.

^^ Oh, Disqus is a software you have to separately install?

• The way it works for Tumblr is that you give it the URL of your Tumblr, and you can give it a "shortname", and you can put that into a Tumblr customization field (it might depend on the theme).

It's not the only remotely-hosted comment service out there but it's the easiest to use with Tumblr.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

↑↑ No. You don't actually "install" the Disqus software so much as you "insert" it, kinda like embedding a YouTube video.

• Basically, you create your Tumblr blog, then sign up for a Disqus account, then link the two so you can get Disqus-hosted comments on your Tumblr posts.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I have a tumblr now.  freakshowimprov.tumblr.com if anyone cares.

I've mostly just been posting 60s Spiderman pictures.