If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Bug chasers

edited 2012-05-01 18:35:32 in General
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugchasing

And here I was worried that the Internet had begun to make me immune to intangible horrors. Nope! I'm actually pretty glad that I still have the ability to be shocked and appalled and whatnot at people with a psychological disorder that causes them to infect themselves with HIV. It provides a signal that I'm still human.

The bad news is, I told my friend about this and now he thinks I'm a bug chaser. I'm not, really 

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

It is a form of self harm.[original research?][citation needed]

Unless self-harm has a more specific definition than I'm aware of, the fact that someone put those tags there is disturbing.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

The [original research] tag is generally used bu people other than the original writer to distinguish between citable and uncitable work. Unless you were referring to the fact that it's rather inhuman to look at something as terrible as self-harm and say "well how do you know? heh". That's pretty bad.

• edited 2012-05-01 18:50:56
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

The link doesn't work. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, I meant from the perspective that it looks like saying "oh, nah, I'm not sure they're actually doing anything bad to themselves."

And I checked the definition of self-harm, and it does include introducing harmless substances into your body, so...:/

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
  • edited 2012-05-01 18:56:56
    Diet NEET

Old hat, saw this on ED ages ago. Page on it was weirdly analytical for a wiki that usually prides itself on hurfaggotsdur.

Link still doesn't work.

For some reason even if it's just another type of self-harm, the actuality and methodism of the situation - specifically and deliberately seeking out someone with HIV to have sex with and suffer a slow, painful death - is really, really uncomfortable. This from a person that watched an episode of America's Next Top Model where they forced a women into posing in a coffin after she learned that her friend had OD'd and died the very previous night. Not even the worst episode they've done, but still.

I mean, it's incredibly bizarre to think of how one would get to that conclusion, even being suicidal myself at one point long in the past. But still. How terrible.

• Man I hate bug chasers.  I'm flying around the forest enjoying the detritus, then all of a sudden this douchebag in a funny hat thinks I'm gonna round out his star team of five Caterpie.  Go stomp a Tauros pie skipper, it ain't gonna happen.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

Bee wins all threads forever

• Crimson's link

(Except for Captial G and notstraight anymore. Those can't possibly be real.)

• It's likely some of the positives are a mix of Poe and not--they're not actually infected, but they tell people they're infected after having sex with them, as a way of ruining their day.

Now that I can see Crimson's link, I feel like puking! Horror of horrors!

• edited 2012-05-01 20:37:04

In its own way, it's not much worse than that "Ana and Mia" crap from a few years back. (Come to think of it, I initially learned about both that and this from alarmist articles in the same newspaper--though A&M at least relates to a real phenomenon.) Anyways, you can console yourself that if bug-chasers really exist, they're rare enough that it's likely neither you nor anyone you know will ever meet one. There are plenty of fantasists, but there are plenty of fantasists for anything you can name.

• No rainbow star

Crimson... I read stories about chipmunks and human babies getting decapitated (by the time I got to that point in the thread, it was such a train wreck that curiosity kept me going) earlier, yet that image is the first thing to horrify me in the past 24 hours

• I've been trying to work around saying this, but . . . on 4chan and elsewhere, I've seen people speak in near-identical terms to some of the posters when describing physically impossible sexual fantasies. It's because the phrasing is so similar that I believe those people are just fantasists rather than actual bug chasers. (Not all of them are like that, mind you--for instance, CapitalG's phrasing is different from usual, even if his story is a bit implausible.)