If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When people complain about copyrighted soundtracks, episodes, etc. getting pulled off of YouTube

edited 2012-04-24 04:02:15 in General
My arms are falling off!

I'm grateful for the people who upload those sort of things to YT for giving me a lazy way to listen to or watch them, but if your account gets killed because you were hosting clearly-copyrighted material, it's your fault and yours alone.

Comments

• But it's frequently silly and counterproductive for the material to be pulled at all. In many cases, it's just long enough to intrigue people into searching for the full show, meaning it's free advertising. (Companies spend a lot of money to fake grassroots appeal, so it always surprises me when they try to stamp it out after they obtain it legitimately.)

• edited 2012-04-24 04:40:09
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Yeah. YouTube may never stop getting rid of full episode uploads, but what if the companies gave a bit of money to users who upload short clips of a copyrighted show and then tell YouTube they've done so? Set the time limit at one minute or so, and then users get paid about three cents for every second of video they upload...

...okay, now that I actually think about it, there are one or two major flaws that come to mind.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The original version of this song, with something ridiculous like seventy million views, was taken down.

This AMV encouraged thousands of people to watch the show.

• edited 2012-04-24 05:54:08
    My arms are falling off!

The whole copyright pulling is kinda silly in the first place, but as long as we have corporations enforcing copyrights in the dumbest of ways, one is putting their account on the line when they upload copyrighted material.

I don't condemn what users doing, but I don't get surprised when I see the dreaded "this video has been removed" message.

I know that in some cases (i.e. songs), you get a little box showing song information, along with banner ads. That I don't really mind.

• I don't see why something being unsurprising should mean that you can't complain about it if you disagree with it.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

It gets more than a little silly, if it happens with songs that are uploaded by the actual artist, though.

I haven't seen this happening yet, but something similar (as in, some of these songs are blocked for me due to GEMA), so it wouldn't surprise me if that happens.

• No rainbow star
    ^ One band did get their songs taken down (I forget which band, but they were irritated if I recall)

And don't forget that sometimes it's trolls just wanting to kill it
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

This AMV encouraged thousands of people to watch the show.

Including me :D

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    And me. :D
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Free distribution of media really helps a publisher/distributor whose works are far from market saturation.

• edited 2012-04-24 13:36:31
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think it says a lot that the most successful anime localization company these days is the one that gives away most of what it does for free.

Not exactly.  They're also the most active anime localization company in copyright takedowns and stuff.

Then again, that might be because FUNimation is the most active anime localization company right now, period.

They do takedowns and stuff, but on the other hand, you can just go to their youtube channel and watch their stuff anyway, so I can't say I particularly mind.

They take stuff off their Youtube channel after a while.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

This AMV encouraged thousands of people to watch the show.

I never watched the show, I do read the manga, and AMV...UGH KILL IT WITH FIRE!

^^Do they? I know Darker than Black is still there, and they've had it up for years.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    Hmm. I forgot that I could just go to YouTube to watch some shows thanks to FUNimation.

• I think it says a lot that the most successful anime localization company these days is the one that gives away most of what it does for free.

More like, the most successful anime localization company these days is the one that has One Piece and Fullmetal Alchemist, which is probably a bigger factor in why they're successful. 

They do takedowns and stuff, but on the other hand, you can just go to their youtube channel and watch their stuff anyway, so I can't say I particularly mind.

They also have a habit of licensing shows that they don't actually ever plan on releasing, which clearly are impossible to watch on their Youtube channel or elsewhere legally.  See: Railgun, the first 2/3 of Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki, etc.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-24 16:33:10

What blows my mind is that they usually go for the takedown instead of capitalizing on it in any way.  Like, why don't they set up a Youtube channel themselves and host their own episodes or soundtrack?  A lot of companies already do that, it's easier to keep track of viewership, expands your viewerbase to people who may not be able to get to a TV during normal timeslots, and it means you can get ad revenue for things that aren't full episodes.

• What rankles me about takedowns are when they happen to things they're not going to make available again (usually) like old pieces of television presentation or commercials.

Takedowns of commercials just confuse me.

Old shame, probably.  Or more accurately, "we don't want to be presenting that image to the public currently, we only want to present our most recent ad campaign's image to the public right now."

• edited 2012-04-25 14:31:41

Or even "we may want to include them in a "100 Top Commercials of All Time" type programme one day, and no-one'll watch that if it's freely available on YouTube."

When it costs a minimal amount to get YouTube to take it down, any excuse is probably good enough, especially since a lot of those routine decisions will be taken at a fairly low-level anyway.