If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Fedoras and trenchcoats have become a reality for me

edited 2012-04-22 11:10:03 in General

I went out to a Meet-Up event this afternoon, and ran into a woman I'd met previously, together with her daughter and a friend of the daughter. The friend was wearing a trench-coat and fedora, plus his hair was in a pony tail. He was in maybe his late 20s.

I knew this dress code was a (much-mocked) thing from the internet, but this is the first time I've seen it on someone in the wild. The guy actually seemed OK from the limited conversation I had with him, but I wasn't terribly surprised when the mother told me he was a web designer of "sites to do with wrestling" (?)

Comments

• I have a trenchcoat, a fedora, faux-katanas, a V-mask, a Jamaican sockhat, and a whole slew of bandanas, probably among other fashion faux-pas and stereotypical nerdwear. None of that is remotely bad as long as you realize that sort of stuff is purely for dressing up for the proper occassion and not meant to be everyday wear.

Then again, I've also seen hilarious assclowns who wear chainmail as everyday wear, so perhaps I feel less bad about it due to the contrast.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^ You met Alex?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I wore a trenchcoat once.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

The troperiffic-est I've seen were just long coats. Not longcoats, mind you - just, either bum-style or winter-style.

• No, the douche in question has an Irish name, and is the type to flamboyantly confess to and stalk women he met a day ago. He tried to awkwardly hit on my little sis once, which was quite amusing to see.

• Has friends besides tanks now

>fedoras

All of my exaggerated annoyance.

Haven't seen anyone wearing trenchcoats, though.

• For context, we were visiting the Globe Theatre in London on a free day, and there were exactly zero other people there wearing fedoras or trenchcoats.

There was one guy wearing a pork-pie hat, which looked even sillier.

• There's a guy in my math lecture who wears a fedora and brown trenchcoat EVERY DAY. It's not even cold out anymore, for Christ's sake.

• Does dressing in a labcoat for Halloween count? I believe that was the extent of me wearing any sort of longcoat in public, and I was dressed as a mad scientist.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I've seen a guy that looks like your stereotypical neckbeard around my college, he always wears shorts (even in winter) and a too-small-for-his-head fedora.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Closest thing I have to a longcoat is my pea coat, which I love dearly.

• But you never had any to begin with.

^ Same. It's warm!

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I have a big long coat I wear because fuck you and your nerd stereotypes it gets cold here in the winter.

• Champion of the Whales

ITT: Captain Brass is a troper

• ITT: Random guy met by Captain Brass shows possible signs of being a troper.

If I'd have had more time, I could have tested him out.

"Hey, that's a really Nice Hat!"

"Your Longcoat is pretty Badass!"

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

"What are your thoughts on the recent TV Tropes purges concerning pedophilic material?"

You met Alex?

Oh please. If it's not full plate and not on a horse, it's not me.