If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The song "Thirteen" by Big Star

edited 2012-04-21 16:16:47 in IJAM

Specifically, the line "Rock and roll is here to stay."

There's something inextricably tragic about that line for me.

Maybe because it's apparently something that bandmembers Alex Chilton and Chris Bell said when they saw The Beatles in '63, when they themselves were 13.

Or maybe it's because, as their career would go on, all of their albums would flop and the band itself would fall apart.

Or maybe it's because, nowadays, rock is less than relevant in music and culture compared to hip-hop and EDM.

Or maybe it's because the song itself is so tender, I don't know.

This one line has a lot of baggage, I guess is what I'm saying.

Comments

• a little muffled

Or maybe it's because, nowadays, rock is less than relevant in music and culture compared to hip-hop and EDM.

But it's not like it went away or something.

• You'd expect "rock n' roll is here to stay" to come from a chest-pounding song by Kiss or AC/DC or something, but this song is basically the reverse of all that.

I remember reading a long article about Big Star and for an influential band, they had the most screwed-up career - nothing ever went right for them. Alex Chilton kept going after the break up though. I think he died fairly recently.