If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"This one"

edited 2011-03-19 12:28:49 in General
Seriously, three questions -

1 - Where the hell did this come from?
2 - Why is it only women who say it?
3 - Does anybody in real life actually talk like that?

I just don't get it. It makes you sound like a 13 year old on an RP forum whose setting is high fantasy. Is that really a good thing?

Comments

• I haven't seen anyone other than Beholderess use that and I give her the benefit of the doubt with regards to things grammatical because she's Russian and English isn't her first language.
  • I've encountered it a number of times, most specifically with a girl I knew who was into all things mystic, like tarot cards and astrology. She said it all the time and I was just like "What?"

Except she only said it in online interactions.
  • Quit being a whiny bitch and man up.
    Play Mass Effect.
  • Have done. Its fiction, so it doesn't bother me.
  • This is a dumb thread.
  • edited 2011-03-19 13:08:39
    [tɕagɛn]
    I don't know, it's weird at first, but I just think it makes someone cuter.
  • ^^I dunno, this is an odd behaviour that I can see bugging someone, even if that person was not Guitar Bizarre.
  • edited 2011-03-19 13:41:01
    Because you never know what you might see.
    I just think of it as one of those weird vocabulary quirks that people have.  Like if you were to take the contents of a bunch of posts by myself, Gelzo, Chagen, Vorpy, glenn, Blackbird and vandro and remove all names and all context, somebody familiar with each of us could probably tell us apart because we each type differently.  The use of "this one" in place of "I" is just one of Beholderess' quirks.
  • This one believes that if you had played Mass Effect you would understand Beholderess' quirk, especially in light of it's avatar.
  • Quit being a whiny bitch and man up.
    I'm not smuggling for you again Opold..
  • Actually, this one started to use this avatar only after numerous people on the fora likened this one's speech pattern to hanar's. If people regard this one as hanar, she might as well be one to avoid confusion=)

As for the reasons for this particular speech pattern - it had it's origin in paranoia and some mistranslation. Now this one understands how useless that was, but she did not have enough sense of English to realise it back then. Anyway, it turned into a habit amusing enough to keep.

Oh, and this one apologies to those who consider it annoying.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    That seems more japanese grammatical quirk than anything, for many japanese personal pronouns are just variations of "this one" or "that one"
  • edited 2011-03-19 22:13:45
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    -no-
  • edited 2012-07-22 17:59:14

• I always thought of it as a less irritating "this troper".
  • edited 2011-03-19 22:13:38
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    -no-
  • ...Are people still running that ship joke into the ground? Wow. Thats a pretty long lived dead horse.
  • I never even knew it was a running gag until now.
  • edited 2011-03-19 21:15:35
    It started about...maybe a couple weeks after I moved from #yackfest to the fora, and ever since its been resurrected a million times as someone fails to realise it was only funny the single, first, individual time. Even the person who said it first thinks it was a stillborn joke.

• edited 2011-03-20 04:07:41
    Pony Sleuth
    I always thought it seemed pretty dumb, but I'm not one to complain about it.

Edit: That was directed at the topic of the thread. Shipping jokes that piss people off are A-OK.
  • Shipping jokes in general get old fast, for me. (And I'm not just saying that because I'm on the receiving end of a recurring one.)
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It's an overly long gag.

I am not amused by it but I am insufficiently offended by it to yell at people for it.