If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Prometheus, Alien and the possibilities.

edited 2012-04-14 17:45:00 in Media
One foot in front of the other, every day.

So, I guess I'm a pretty big fan of Alien-related stuff and Prometheus, the prequel, is right around the corner. Have a trailer. 

(Pause at 1:22 for awesome.)

Alien-related stuff has been pretty badly handled since after Aliens, my own personal appreciation for Alien 3 aside. EU productions like comics and games miss the point more often than not and produce nothing from pulp, which is disappointing considering the quality of the original films. Between that and the Alien vs. Predator comics and films, Giger's Alien is leaning feebly on the edge of ruin. 

What I like about Prometheus is that it might break the assumptions we hold about the Alien without actually answering too many questions. The issue with any long-running horror franchise is our psychological domestication of the monster, and that's hit the Alien hard. But if Ridley Scott uses this opportunity to put the mythology back into the Alien (even if there isn't one in the film, which seems likely), then it might breath new life into it and invalid a whole bunch of foolishly produced media and regimented fan opinion. 

Apart from that, the movie looks to be taking a different direction to Alien, which is good. A prequel that follows the patterns of an original film is still just a rehash, so it'll be interesting to see how this movie functions without a monster. Somewhat similar to Sunshine, I suppose? In any case, it looks like the Alien, or some element of it, extends far beyond the physical body we get in the original. At a guess, I'd say there's some kind of corrupting, maddening element, which is suitably Lovecraft if a bit too blatant. 

I'll just be carefully optimistic. 

Thoughts? 

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I thought that Prometheus wasn't so much a prequel as just a movie that happened to take place in the same universe.

• edited 2012-04-14 17:46:43
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Alien should never have gone beyond the first film, and I really don't see the point of this film being a prequel other than nerd asses in seats.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Alien should never have gone beyond the first film, and I really don't see the point of this film being a prequel other than nerd asses in seats.

I get what you mean. On the other hand, popular franchises end up becoming transmedia worlds no matter what these days, so I'm glad Ridley is taking it in a direction that isn't space marines or whatever. 

I thought that Prometheus wasn't so much a prequel as just a movie that happened to take place in the same universe.

As far as I know, it takes place on LV-426 and those interior bits are in the same derelict spacecraft from the first two films. So, more or less what you said. Its prequel status is technical, I guess. 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Alien versus Predator PC games were kinda good.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I thought they actually kicked ass, horrible balance notwithstanding. I thought the first one in particular was notable for its capacity to combine horror and FPS action gameplay so well, losing nothing in terms of either genre. 

• You can change. You can.

honestly, considering that scott's record hasn't been the brightest, i'm not exactly optimistic. however, i might watch it just to see what happens and if he manages to prove me wrong as he did with blade runner. 

• They're somethin' else.

The Capcom arcade beat em up is the best evah.