If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Anybody else wonder if the Vanilla Boards' format influences this forum?

edited 2012-04-06 23:25:21 in IJBM meta
No rainbow star

I have a feeling that the forum wouldn't have been successful if it was a normal forum, with everybody squirrelling away into boards that only pertain to their interests

Instead, due to how the forum, by default, shows all threads, we see everything upon coming here, making us interact more and making new members see a wider selection instead of just the most recently posted in thread of each board, if that

Anybody else feel the same way? Or does anybody else have a differing view point?

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I definitely suggested this forum format since all the threads are smashed together in one display, rather than compartmentalized into subforums.

• While there are aspects of Vanilla that annoy me, I like that one.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It probably encourages activity, but it also annoys me, as I can't just stick to my interests without having ten different tabs open.

• You can change. You can.

well, you can, if you exercised self control, but nooooo

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

No, I could if I paid any attention to board categories at all, but... fuck that.

• The only reason this format works is because we have like two dozen regular members.  If we weren't such a tiny forum, this format would... be less acceptable, I think.

• edited 2012-04-07 17:25:52
    Loser

Icalasari,

I have a feeling that the forum wouldn't have been successful if it was a normal forum, with everybody squirrelling away into boards that only pertain to their interests.

You might be right. Having one main default list of threads is probably preferable to having tons of relatively inactive subforums. 

I also feel like the way post-formatting works encourages shorter posts (i.e., long posts/walls of text are harder to read here than they are on say TV Tropes) too, but I might be wrong about that.

• edited 2012-04-07 18:13:06
    No rainbow star
    I also feel like the way post-formatting works encourages shorter posts (i.e., long posts/walls of text are harder to read here than they are on say TV Tropes) too, but I might be wrong about that.

Judging by Alex's posts, I'm betting that you may be wrong
  • That depends on the assumption that people actually like Alex's posts.

Nah, I have no reason to diss him, I just feel like the way comments are set up here, especially how there is a lot more empty space to the left and right of posts here and how avatars and text are pretty small, kind of makes long posts seem out of place.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Yeah, I have quite a reputation for huge posts here, but the formatting makes them "squished" -- on another forum, they might only appear to be half as long. Not that they'd be considered small posts in many contexts, but other formats make them more readable. 

• edited 2012-04-10 07:27:28

Now that it's been pointed out, that big white space is starting to annoy me. It's so... empty...

fucking hell

same here now

• You can change. You can.

On the other hand, they look more readable here precisely because of the compressed form. One of the issue I have with TvT's layout is that the longer the posts, the longer and more intimidating they look. Here, while it looks vertically longer, it also looks laterally shorter, which gives the illusion of a more reasonable length

• The ability to list all the threads on one page is one of two reasons I still put up with Vanilla for Heapers' Hangout. It works well there.

(The other is the multi-person PM conversations. Other forums let you PM multiple people but I like that Vanilla's work like private threads.)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Now I wonder if there's a way to have the page auto-expand the thread text area to as wide as possible, just leaving a bit of room on the right for the categories/bookmarked stuff.