If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Supreme Court rules that anyone arrested may be subject to a strip search

edited 2012-04-05 09:58:02 in Meatspace
But you never had any to begin with.

Article

So yeah. There are a lot of reasons this is a terrible terrible idea, and probably counts as unconstitutional as well, but there you have it.

Comments

• As if the U.S. justice system wasn't backwards enough.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

international human rights treaties also ban the procedures.

And yet they still want to do it. Gotta love the US.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Justice Kennedy responded that “people detained for minor offenses can turn out to be the most devious and dangerous criminals.” He noted that Timothy McVeigh, later put to death for his role in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, was first arrested for driving without a license plate. “One of the terrorists involved in the Sept. 11 attacks was stopped and ticketed for speeding just two days before hijacking Flight 93,” Justice Kennedy added

Are you fucking shitting me? Strip searches wouldn't have helped then either, but they trot those out as an example... Jesus, why did people feel the need to pass this bill when common sense shows it will be a waste of time and demeaning to prisoners all the time?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Wait...is he actually implying that anyone who gets a speeding ticket needs to e strip searched?
  • edited 2012-04-05 11:42:16
    I'm a damn twisted person

Yes. If I were less attacked to my laptop I would be punching a hole through the monitor right now in rage. 

Although, it would be amusing if one of the Supreme Justices who voted for this got a speeding ticket and ended up getting strip searched, protesting that it was bullshit the whole way. 

• edited 2012-04-05 12:56:21

George W. Bush appointed two of these guys. Is it any wonder the Supreme Court is completely fascist?

We might as well just have the Supreme Court declare martial law. They're not democratically elected, they keep their positions for life, and the other two branches of government can do jack shit to oppose them.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

If I were less attacked to my laptop I would be punching a hole through the monitor right now in rage. 

This is legitimately an excellent slip of the tongue. Keyboard. Whatever. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-05 17:31:12

Wait...is he actually implying that anyone who gets a speeding ticket needs to e strip searched?

Yes.  Because strip searching a guy for a minor traffic violation is likely to find terrorist plots.  Maybe he had the minutes from the last meeting tattooed on his dick, I dunno.

Fuck it, our law enforcement just really, really wants to look at dicks.

George W. Bush appointed two of these guys. Is it any wonder the Supreme Court is completely fascist?

Yes.  Because seven of them weren't.  And I'd like to remind you that Obama has been selling us out at pretty much every opportunity when it comes to Orwellian policies too, as has most of Congress.

• No rainbow star
    I'm just waiting for civil war. That will be interesting to see (I wonder if other countries would back the population going up against the US government, considering the bloodbath otherwise?)
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^What.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-05 19:34:25

As horrible as it sounds, I'm beginning to see little other way this trend can resolve, and it scares the hell out of me.  These policies have typically been overwhelmingly bipartisan in recent years, and often outright ignore (or in recent months suppress) public outrage.  What do you do when the extent of your power is to vote for candidates who are all in on it?  I mean, look at this!

(I find it so, so heartening that Merkeley and Wyden were among the nays there.  I have never loved this state so much, and as many issues as I have with some of those two's other policies I want to give them a huge hug.)

That's not a rhetorical question.  Someone prove me wrong, please.  A revolt would suck indescribably miserably for all sides (calling it "interesting" is...really, really disturbing), fail very quickly, result in immediate martial law, smash our infrastructure to hell, destabilize the fuck out of global markets, and cause horrible stuff to happen worldwide.  Nobody can afford that to happen.  Period.

Like, Europe embargo the crap out of us or something until we smarten up, or a sudden rash of third-party elections to break the iron grip.  We need a peaceful way out of this.

• "Like, Europe embargo the crap out of us or something until we smarten up"

Alas, that too would destabilize global markets.

"or a sudden rash of third-party elections to break the iron grip."

Come on. You guys can do it. We've just nearly done it up here.

• edited 2012-04-05 19:49:10
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm just waiting for civil war. That will be interesting to see

As some who lives in America and isn't too happy with how the government has been acting lately, I really, really would rather not have that happen.

Also, I don't think "interesting" is the right word. Unless I've completely misjudged you this whole time.

America's government can improve. It'll just take time. People need to get out and vote more.
  • Are you saying that the people who stay home do so because they hate the two main parties?

Well, if that's the case, I agree with you. Though I'm not sure if "voting more" is the answer, especially with the failure of a system that is first past the post. 

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^ I'm saying that I think the first step is getting people to start giving a shit.

At least on the local level, in my town we've always had a huge problem with getting people out to vote. Things like the school system's budget getting cut happen every year, even though there's so many people with kids in our town.

I'm pretty sure a similar thing happens on a national level. The politicians aren't as representative of the people as they should be, because people either don't vote, don't pay attention to what they're voting for outside the president.

It might not make America a utopia, but it would be a big step forward, I think. I doubt we'd get things that upset so many people if we actually payed attention.

And if people payed attention, running as something other than Republican or Democrat might be a legitimate thing.

• As some who lives in America and isn't too happy with how the government has been acting lately, I really, really would rather not have that happen.

Yeah, for serious.

Come on. You guys can do it. We've just nearly done it up here.

How much turnout do third parties get over there?  Down here the next highest party tops out at a whopping 0.5% votes and one representative out of over 5,000 in state lower houses, and is also mildly insane.

Agreed, first step is to fight voter apathy. The second is to inform voters that a lot of candidates, especially Republicans, are NOT looking out for your interests. Third, is to crush lobbying. The real question is how to do all this.

I have to say though, the fact that outright civil war is even on the table for you guys is intensely disturbing.

• edited 2012-04-05 20:11:43
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

EDIT: fuck, hit save before I was done
  • BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-05 20:14:58

It's not just voter apathy.  A large part of the problem is that third parties are viewed as nothing more than strategic leeches to sap votes from the #2.  One of the reasons our current main parties are so batshit nuts is because they try to either pounce on all these fringes, or distance themselves from them as much as possible hoping the other main party will get associated with them.  The fringes in turn get more insane than both parties to try and survive as distinct.

• edited 2012-04-05 20:22:31
    @Crimson: Is civil war actually on the table? I haven't noticed anything at all indicating that we're heading that way.

Unhappiness with the government, sure, but that's not the same thing as gearing up to grab guns and march on Washington.

Either way, bloody revolt would do nothing but make a bad situation into Hell.

^ It's not the sole problem, but it's the first step to improvement.
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I could imagine that South Carolina might threaten to secede if Obama is re-elected but that's about it as far as civil war goes. Conservatives don't exactly want something that horrible to happen, either, and any civil uprising would quickly be crushed by the military. I could, however, imagine something akin to a Tea Party-flavored Weather Underground. 

@Forzare: The fact that people are even suggesting it as a serious solution (both here and in meatspace) means it's far more on than I'd like.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-04-05 20:54:07

It wouldn't be a solution.  Even if someone is desperate enough to want to try, there's absolutely no possibility it could actually solve anything because modern military is so many orders of magnitude beyond anything a militia could ever muster.  And once the uprising is crushed, they'd use it as an excuse to clamp down harder.  Look how long we've been hanging on to OMG terrorism as a smokescreen for this stuff despite the fact that domestic terrorism is statistically a lesser threat than your own bathtub -- what do you think would happen if we actually had large-scale violence on our home turf?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^ This.

The only people who are seriously suggesting it are the nutjobs.
  • edited 2012-04-05 21:57:12
    No rainbow star
    Maybe interesting is the wrong word. It's more, "If it gets to that point - and with my current understanding of US politics, it's looking like it may result in that - I would like to see how other countries react, the US government reacts, etc. as a civil war with a weapons divide like that would be a first to my knowledge"

So 'interesting' in a, "How would this change the world?" sort of way

Obviously it would be horrifying and I hope my limited understanding of states politics is wrong (they have a multi party system instead of a two party system? I vaguely remember hearing about that but due to how the states are, it slipped my mind) and it can be resolved peacefully still
  • edited 2012-04-05 22:00:56

I can't see a civil war in America in this day and age having anything but a negative effect on the entire world, and with current military tech...  It's not gonna happen.

I vaguely remember hearing about that but due to how the states are, it slipped my mind

The US has a multiparty system, but the only parties that anyone pays attention to/votes for are the Republicans and the Democrats.

• edited 2012-04-05 22:03:28
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Just in terms of technology level, a revolution in te US is pretty much impossible.

Ninja'd.

• edited 2012-04-05 23:23:35
    a little muffled

@Bee:

How much turnout do third parties get over there?  Down here the next highest party tops out at a whopping 0.5% votes and one representative out of over 5,000 in state lower houses, and is also mildly insane.

We just had a third party overtake the historically most popular party for Opposition, not that it means much since the Conservatives currently have a majority. Which they won about as legitimately as George W. Bush did the presidency in 2000, but I digress.

However this is a party that has been around for decades as the perpetual third-most-popular party, so the first step as far as the US would be concerned would be to elect third-party candidates to a few seats in the House.

But I mean, we basically just have a three-party system rather than a two-party system; none of the other parties are very popular. (The Green Party also won a single seat in the 2011 election though, so I guess that's something.)

• Don't forget that the NDP has often wielded the balance of power in minority governments, since they were the difference between a majority vote on a bill and the bill not passing.

• a little muffled

As I understand it there's less of an expectation in the US that congresspeople must vote along party lines on everything ever, so that position wouldn't be as meaningful there.