If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Andrew W.K. is a fan of Thomas Ligotti

edited 2012-04-02 13:38:22 in Meatspace

This guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg

Is a fan of this guy

"At all levels, the systems of life – from sociopolitical systems to solar systems – are repugnant and should be negated as MALIGNANTLY USELESS.

‘Worthless’ rather than ‘useless’ is the more familiar epithet in this context. The motive for using ‘useless’ in place of ‘worthless’ in this histrionically capitalized phrase is that ‘worthless’ is tied to the concepts of desirability and value, and by their depreciation introduces them into the mix. ‘Useless’, on the other hand, is not so inviting of these concepts. ‘Worthless’ can serviceably be connected to the language of pessimism and does what damage it can. But the devil of it is that ‘worthless’ really does not go far enough when speaking pessimistically about the character of existence. Too many times the question ‘Is life worth living?’ has been asked. This usage of ‘worth’ excites impressions of a fair lot of experiences that are arguably desirable and valuable within limits and that follow upon one another in such a way as to suggest that life is not worthless overall, or not so worthless that a case could not be made for its worth. With ‘useless’, the spirits of desirability and value do not as readily rear their heads, and existence as dizzying pointlessness state of affairs may be more intemperately asserted. Naturally, the uselessness of all that is or could be may be repudiated as well or badly the worthlessness of all that is or could be. For this reason, the adverb ‘malignantly’ has been annexed to ‘useless’ to give it a little more semantic stretch, if not enough to deter any rebuttals from the opposition. But to express with any adequacy a sense of the sucking uselessness of everything, a nonlinguistic modality would be needed, some effusion out of a dream that coalesced every nuance of the useless and wordlessly transmitted to us the inanity of any possible thing, conception, or condition. Indigent of such means of communication, the uselessness of all that exists or possibly could exist must be spoken with a poor potency.

Of course, everyone believes there are things, conceptions, and conditions that are not useless. We all live within relative frameworks where something may not be useless – in a practical way – with respect to something else. A potato masher is not useless if one wants to mash potatoes. For some people, a system of being that includes a god may not seem useless, possibly because it involves concepts such as eternity and infinity. Yet even something that involves concepts such as eternity and infinity is not saved from being useless except within a relative framework of what is not eternal or infinite. It would then not be useless only in the same relative capacity as a potato masher. As long as there are entities that are relative to one another, they will be potato-masher entities. And if there were a god that had no relation to anything that was not that god – that was not relative to anything because nothing else existed – then such a thing would be the paradigm of uselessness, being that there would be nothing for which it could not be useless. Should that god drum up a universe in which there were things for which it would not be useless, it could only be a potato-masher god. Far more likely in the minds of many people is that the universe was drummed up without a god, thereby making the uselessness of that universe, except in the potato-masher relations of its part, unbelievably evident. Some people do not get up in arms about the relativity of everything; others do. The latter want to worship gods that are not just potato-masher gods or to think in terms of absolutes that are really absolute and not just absolute potato-mashers. They cannot accept an existence in which everything is MALIGNANTLY USELESS except as some species of potato masher. They particularly do not like to think that they themselves are potato-masher things living potato-masher lives in a potato-masher world."

Comments

• edited 2012-04-02 13:54:09
    I'm a damn twisted person

Man, that guy must really hate potatoes.  

Dismissive snark aside, that guy just said he is a fan of Ligotti. Maybe he just likes the guys grimderp books and not the whole pessimism philosophy.

• I'm a damn twisted person

It gives you a freedom as well because if it is meaningless than I can have fun all day. It’s freeing and crushing at the same time.

It’s more that there’s people I wouldn’t recommend it to. People who have problems with anxiety or depression shouldn’t read it. I would look around notice things I wouldn’t notice before and they weren’t nice things to notice. Things I would like started to look sick and gross. It’s very powerful. I think the idea is to make it through that and find some kind of balance in the end. It’s great for anybody to read, although I understand why someone might want to read it.

Eh, it doesn't quite sound like he became a pessimism spambot like Ligotti. If anything he found the book and the philosophy interesting but didn't let it overwrite his life. 

• I know.

It's just weird, is all. It's like if ICP started talking about Dostoevsky in interviews.

Myrmidon, that would require ICP to actually read at all.

On a sidenote, Party Hard is obnoxiously catchy. 

• I don't want to talk to a scientist

Or a philosopher

That's like a scientist, right?

-ICP
  • It was back in ancient Greece anyway.

• "Myrmidon, that would require ICP to actually read at all."

How else did they find out about  Lech Mich Im Arsch?

Okay, to read something besides facebook and twitter.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Who's ICP?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Insane Clown Posse.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Not everybody who makes stupid music is stupid. 

• edited 2012-04-03 23:27:32
    (void)

How else did they find out about  Lech Mich Im Arsch?

From Jack White?

Not everybody who makes stupid music is stupid.

ICP is, though.

• edited 2012-04-04 19:36:04
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

They may be idiots, but they're not stupid. There's a reason they're so successful with their target demographic. By being idiots. 

(Though it's helpful to note that Andrew W.K. isn't stupid by any stretch of the imagination.)