If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Debates about whether Britain should have a royal family

edited 2012-04-02 12:05:34 in Politics

They always make me uncomfortable, because I do not feel entitled to have an opinion. Like, at all.

Comments

• edited 2012-04-02 12:40:39

People actually debate about this? I don't really see what there would be to debate here.

Even if they don't exactly have the sort of power they used to, the fact remains that the royal families of Britain and other European nations have played an integral role in the development of Western culture and society, and, by extension, the current state of the world. At the very least we should recognize that their ancestors played a key role in shaping the world we know today.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

The only reason for keeping them is tradition, really. There isn't much to gain by getting rid of them, and there also isn't much to lose by letting them stay. That said, being a staunch anti-monarchist, I'd like if Britain was a republic.

• edited 2012-04-02 12:59:12

That said, being a staunch anti-monarchist, I'd like if Britain was a republic.

I was kind of under the impression that the House of Commons was the only governmental body in Britain with any real power anymore. Or is this about the difference in structure between a parliamentary government and a republic?

• edited 2012-04-02 13:03:08
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

The House of Lords can veto laws brought by the House of Commons, and the monarch still has some, mostly theoretical, power. I oppose monarchy on principle, though.

• Champion of the Whales

The only reason for keeping them is tradition, really. There isn't much to gain by getting rid of them, and there also isn't much to lose by letting them stay. That said, being a staunch anti-monarchist, I'd like if Britain was a republic.

The British Royal Family pays more money to the state than they get out, No one is sure if a President would be as cost-effective. Also, the Monarch is still the head of the Anglican Church as well.

• Also, the Monarch is still the head of the Anglican Church as well.

If I were British, this would bother me more than the "having a monarch in the first place" bit.

• You can change. You can.

there being an anglican church or...?

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

There being a state religion, probably.