If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Myrmidon

edited 2012-04-02 02:56:11 in Media
smote

I always thought it was an odd choice of words for what's essentially a swordfighting class (and is, apparently, called "sword fighter" in the original Japanese).

Comments

• Myrmidon should totally use her as an avatar.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> japan
    > anime style art
    > correct longsword proportions
    > correct handling of a longsword

what is this i don't even

Fire Emblem is pretty awesome I guess.  

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

correct handling of a longsword

Is this supposed to be Pflug? Then why the fuck the crossguard's "upper end" points towards the body?

(In other news: meh, it's still anime.) 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

(In other news: meh, it's still anime.)

> Fire Emblem
    > Anime

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Whatever, I don't watch Pokemon.

Is this supposed to be Pflug? Then why the fuck the crossguard's "upper end" points towards the body?

Looks like a vertical, frontal sweep to me, like in the case of Nebenhut or Schrankhut. Analogous with the "Iron Gate" in the Italian tradition. What she's about to do/doing/done in our context is a sort of Krumphau that relies on sideways movement rather than diagonal movement, probably followed by a rising cut once the adversary is suitably harmless. 

• edited 2012-04-02 09:12:39

Oh hey, it's a Fire Emblem character design that I actually like.

Or so I say, but now that I think of it I can't think of any particular reason I thought I didn't like Fire Emblem's character designs in the first place even though I do remember thinking that at one point... 

• probably human

Maybe it's just because Myrmidon sounds cooler?

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I always thought it was an odd choice of words for what's essentially a swordfighting class (and is, apparently, called "sword fighter" in the original Japanese).

Myrmidons were loyal Achilles' soldiers during the Trojan war.

But...

Maybe it's just because Myrmidon sounds cooler?

Still doesn't look like good HEMA. What it looks like, is kind of like with that putting video game controller into your mouth, you remember, we've had a thread on it some time ago. So, what it looks like is trying to look proficient in the use of a sword by making a slutty pose and hoping men would not care.

The stance is wonky, given. But that's Schrankhut, no doubt 'bout it. 

• edited 2012-04-02 13:15:53
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Legwork looks poor. Perhaps it's the art.

• edited 2012-04-02 14:25:02
    I'm a damn twisted person

Man I love using Myrmidons in Fire Emblem. With the right build they are absolute beasts on the field, one/two - shotting almost everything thanks to their insane critical abilities. A little squishy, but still absolute monsters. Two Mymridons, two archers, some healers, a mage, some flying units(Wyverns fuck yeah!) and whoever you are required to use for the game should let you handle damn near everything. 

• Poot dispenser here

Myrmidon is Greek for "Antlion," I believe (or is the scientific name for the species).

Antlions brush sand aside to hide in so that they can trap their prey.

Therefore, a Myrmidon is a Sandraker.

And yes, I came back this one time just to say that.

• "So, what it looks like is trying to look proficient in the use of a sword by making a slutty pose and hoping men would not care."

Pretend the character was a guy. Would you say the same thing? 

• a little muffled

> Fire Emblem
    > Anime

There was one, in the 90s.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Two Mymridons, two archers, some healers, a mage, some flying units(Wyverns fuck yeah!) and whoever you are required to use for the game should let you handle damn near everything. 

I usually go Sage for my healers, so I've got healing and Light magic.

There was one, in the 90s.

But that's not the context it was being discussed in.

• Also:

> Fire Emblem
    > Anime 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Two Mymridons, two archers, some healers, a mage, some flying units(Wyverns fuck yeah!) and whoever you are required to use for the game should let you handle damn near everything.

>Using Archers.

>Not using Knights/Generals and Berserkers.

Crake i am disappoint.

• I'm a damn twisted person

When I tossed out Ike I had no need for berserkers. Knights were outpaced in maneuverability by Wyverns for me. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

>Never mentioned Sentinels either.

Don't tell me your forgot about Nephenee.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, there's the annoying reverse-bow-leggedness or whatever it is that goes on with animesque art of girls.  Which really bugs me too.

That said, a myrmidon (character class) isn't just any sword user, it's specifically one with relatively low defense (for a melee character) but relatively high evasion and crit rates.  Can function as dodge tank or glass cannon depending on the stats.

Which is a pretty good representation of a skilled swordsman in any case. It's kind of a wonky concept because heavy armour is the name of the game in battlefield concept (strictly speaking), but a sword used at its best is a "crit" weapon, used for singular decisive techniques whenever possible. Its versatility is what gives it the capacity to do this -- it can "crit" an adversary in any kind of armour with any kind of armament given skill and application of the correct technique. 

Something like a mace or warhammer, in real life terms, would have very low "crit" but stronger base damage and armour nullification. This applies to axes to some extent, too. 

The general rule is that something with strong cutting and piercing ability deals strong critical injury to the human body. Mass weapons (axes, maces, hammers, ect.) are just as deadly to someone without armour, but lack manoeuvrability, such a diverse array of techniques and the capacity to make finely pinpointed attacks. 

Polearms essentially just staves with extra gribbly bits, so they can be considered as belonging to their own category or "bladed" or "mass weapon" depending on the polearm in question. 

While Fire Emblem uses an abstracted system, it does have its nods towards realism. For instance, it's usually true that a polearm has an advantage over a sword and that a sword has an advantage over a mass weapon. Shields and armour can alter that equation, though -- mass weapons being better at defeating someone in armour, or sword and shield being much stronger against polearms than sword alone. 

Ironically, this ends up meaning that longsword, one of the most versatile and universally-applicable weapons ever, faces an uphill battle against the simple spear. But that is how things go. 

Also, now I can't help but think a Fire Emblem game where the turn-based combats are conditionally replaced by real-time combat with semi-realistic gameplay would be awesome. But the general gameplay would still revolve around the tile map. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, the critting that myrmidons in FE are known for is more a result of their skill.  The first myrmidons you can recruit in each game also tends to come with a single Killing Edge sword, which is a sword that has (somehow) an abnormally high crit rate.

> Also, now I can't help but think a Fire Emblem game where the turn-based combats are conditionally replaced by real-time combat with semi-realistic gameplay would be awesome. But the general gameplay would still revolve around the tile map.

Isn't Valkyria Chronicles a bit like this?  I don't know for sure; I've just seen a single gameplay vid.

Sort of. 

Each character's turn is taken in real time. Enemy units are considered to be an "overwatch" and will fire from their current positions, but won't move. Your own turn includes an opportunity to attack or to take another action, after which your unit is "spent" and will remain on overwatch itself until its next turn arrives.