If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

So I heard about this critically acclaimed fantasy series

edited 2012-04-01 21:20:33 in Media

And I was like "cool, something interesting I can read" and so I read the wikipedia page

First paragraph

"The Prince of Nothing is a series of three fantasy novels by the Canadian author R. Scott Bakker, first published in 2004, part of a wider series known as "The Second Apocalypse". This trilogy details the emergence of Anasûrimbor Kellhus, a brilliant monastic warrior, as he takes control of a holy war and the hearts and minds of its leaders. Kellhus exhibits incredible powers of prediction and persuasion, which are derived from deep knowledge of rationalitycognitive biases, and causality, as discovered by the Dûnyain, a secret monastic sect. As Kellhus goes from military leader to divine prophet, Drusas Achamian, the sorcerer who mentored Kellhus, comes to realize that his student may well be the harbinger of the Second Apocalypse."

I can't shake the feeling that this is what Eliezer Yudkowski masturbates to.

Also apparently there's some misogyny but that's a different thread.

Comments

• Can't be any worse than Atlas Shrugged, though that's setting a low bar.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

The Eye of Argon is better than Atlus Fucking Shrugged.

• You can change. You can.

>Atlus Shrugged

>Atlus

so is this a game about searching for one of John Galt's public personas or...

anyway:

Things that are better than Atlas Shrugged:

• Being kicked in the balls by a guy with steeltoe boots

• having a giant piano falling over your head. Probably while listening to Billy Joel. then being buried to Piano Man

• Being crucified (Jesus had it easy. Pilates didn't make him read Atlas Shrugged)

• Talking to Malk.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Talking to Malk.

;_;

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I sort of want to read The Eye of Argon. But I'm not really sure. Anyone know where I can find some extracts?

• edited 2012-04-02 04:02:31

It's actually pretty good. At least the first trilogy, I haven't gotten around to reading the two books that have so far been released of the second trilogy, but I've heard rather mixed things about them. I'm not really a fan of the whole "look at me, I'm so rational" crowd, but that is never really the feeling I got from the books. Khellus' ability is tied to logic and extreme knowledge and control over the body and the mind, both his own and reading and controlling others. However it almost borders on the magical rather than rational, due to the extreme to which it is taken, and besides he is never presented as being good, though your mileage may vary on whether or not he is a villain or a necessary evil/anti-hero, in fighting the consult. He is certainly an interesting character and the narrative takes him to interesting places, however if the book was seen just from his point of view it would be uninteresting and luckily there are plenty of other interesting characters in the series who's point of view we also get to see. Some of them are a little more relatable, such as Achamian and Esmenet.

In a way Khellus is a deconstruction of a typical gary stu character, everything seems to suddenly center on him, everybody likes him, he is the messiah etc. However, it is only because he planned it that way and is actively manipulating events and people. In reality he is a cold, calculating and ruthless person, though not necessarily evil.

Also, the guy who wrote the books actually have a background in philosophy as opposed to the less-wrong wankers. Not saying that the books don't indulge a bit every now and then, but it's largely to the enrichment of the novels, rather than to their detriment.

• I sort of want to read The Eye of Argon. But I'm not really sure. Anyone know where I can find some extracts?

I suggest its MST3k'd form.

• >Atlus Shrugged

Ah, the train of thought that led to Catherine.

• edited 2012-04-02 17:40:53
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I sort of want to read The Eye of Argon. But I'm not really sure. Anyone know where I can find some extracts?

I did a dramatic reading of a single chapter.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Dude, you really need a better microphone.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Tell me something I don't know. :P