If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"There is no student loan crisis"

edited 2012-03-31 21:19:48 in General
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/30/news/economy/student-loans/?hpt=hp_t2

Yeah, who cares about all the actual students getting fucked over, as long as the rich stay rich who cares?

(Look at me, treating CNN like a true news source.)

Comments

• edited 2012-03-31 21:43:09
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Yeah, who cares about all the actual students getting fucked over, as long as the rich stay rich who cares?

I don't know where you pulled that from, but this article is actually pretty bullshit...

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^It's kind of his thing to do that.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

It is!

• I'm a damn twisted person

It's not very conducive to productive discussion.

It isn't!

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

Sooo much "personal responsibility" hawking in the comments, jesus.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.
    That's a factual statement based upon observable evidence! Sometimes I just feel like being an asshole!
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, I'd say the high level of sarcasm you're using isn't particularly reflective of the article.  The article does have problems, yes, but not as glaringly (in my opinion) as your sarcasm suggests.

Here's the biggest issue I see:

"I don't think it's a bubble," said Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of Finaid.org, a financial aid website. "Most students who graduate college are able to repay their loans."

First, what does it mean to be "able" to repay one's loans?  Sure, those people who have found stable and gainful employment are probably able, but does being "able" include, say, being unemployed/underemployed and making loan payments using one's parents' paychecks?  What about payment deferment plans that make payments smaller but drag out the loan longer?  Or how about those who have put off things like further education or small business investment in order to pay for a student loan?

In short, does being "able" to repay student loans mean that we have a well-functioning economy?

• edited 2012-04-01 10:55:04

I'd say students shouldn't have to take out loans at all. No one should have to spend a huge portion of the rest of their life trying to get out of debt just because they wanted to actually learn about their field of interest.

But you see, capitalism says that

• edited 2012-04-01 11:08:23

What about French capitalism? Scandinavian capitalism? Somehow they still make education affordable for the masses.

No, only American Capitalism and the American Way and the American Dream are True Capitalism 

• I'm a damn twisted person

You do realize you're most likely the only person who finds your nigh constant sarcasm as funny as you think it is, right?

• Admittedly, yeah. It's amusing the first few times, but after that it comes off as a broken record.

• Champion of the Whales

Comical Ali

Is it bad that I thought of this?

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Serbia has (mostly) free university education for students who pass a certain quota at the entry test, usually between 40% and 80% of the total number of freshmen at the faculty in question.