If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

One cent currencies

edited 2012-03-30 14:14:05 in Meatspace
No rainbow star
Well, the Canadian penny is going to be phased out, adding it to the grave of other single cent currencies

I can't believe governments spend more than a cent to produce a cent... Yet keep doing it. It will be bittersweet to see the penny go, but all the same, what took so long? Why do some other countries keep producing such things?

Comments

• edited 2012-03-30 14:18:54
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I wrote an essay on the state standardized test a couple years ago saying that I thought pennies were stupid and should be discontinued.

Pennies are annoying. They're only useful for exact change anyway, and it's kind of stupid.
  • Champion of the Whales

Why do some other countries keep producing such things?

Because of X.99 prices.

• The UK is still minting one pence pieces AFAIK. It's actually a bit of a pain if you end up with lots of them in your pocket because it's really fiddly to count out payment for anything using the pennies, especially if you're in a queue and feel under pressure not to waste everyone's time.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Wouldn't those just be replaced with X.9 prices and X9.9 prices?

• Or rather, x.95 prices, since removing pennies doesn't necessarily imply removing nickels.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Oh, right. I knew that >.>

• Mildly related (to the context, anyway), I find it rather dastardly that Stephen Harper decided to include that part in. We're going to leave a bunch of people out of jobs, social programs anemic, raise the damn retirement age, oh, but we're also getting rid of the penny so the media will talk about that instead.

• a little muffled

Other than a crack about "pinching pennies out of existence", the Star didn't bring that up on the front page at all and talked about the other changes instead. So good on them I guess.

• No rainbow star
    ^^ It's actually quite brilliant