If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Jerry Bruckheimer get his hands on the Thundercats franchise

edited 2012-03-27 20:27:31 in Wonderful posts

I heard he's going to change the origin of the Thundercats so that they are mutants instead of aliens. This slight against the beautiful, deep, involved storyline of Thundercats pisses me off. And you know he's going to ruin this like he ruined GoBots by casting Michael Cera and that horrible cookie-cutter Olivia Munn who cannot compare to mai waifu INSERT GENERIC HOLLYWOOD ACTRESS HERE in the lead roles. This just pisses me off.

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

• edited 2012-03-27 20:38:56

Warn us before you make a mocking OP by putting it in Wonderful Posts.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, boy.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^Oooh a snipe at the anime fandom when it's not relevant here, how original of you.

• edited 2012-03-27 20:48:15

Fine, I'll explain.

In this case, I do wonder why people are so obsessed with silly TV shows from the past. In the case of Michael Bay's Transformers, it was just a dumb action movie, so why do people treat it as sacrilege when the original cartoon wasn't very good either? Or Yu-Gi-Oh, in the case of the dub even though the original premise was already ridiculous?

I guess the TMNT thing is pretty dumb, but in the end, it's just another movie. It doesn't change TMNT 2003 (for example) in any way. 

"and that horrible cookie-cutter Olivia Munn who cannot compare to mai waifu INSERT GENERIC HOLLYWOOD ACTRESS HERE in the lead roles."

This does come off as hypocritical, but why are you so obsessed with this topic? I'm just curious. 

• edited 2012-03-27 20:51:25
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

> I do wonder why people are so obsessed with silly TV shows from the past. In the case of Michael Bay's Transformers, it was a dumb action movie, so why do people treat it as sacrilege when the original cartoon wasn't very good either? 

The original Transformers wasn't Othello, but it was at least solid from a narrative standpoint. Bay's films aren't just reviled because of the cartoons. They're reviled because even people who know nothing about Transformers know that they're utter abortions of cinema.

They're not bad because they are nothing like the source material, though that doesn't help. They're bad because they're really really bad movies.

I don't get why people aren't supposed to expect anything that costs them a good $10 see to be good, let alone something that's specifically promising to remind of something they loved when they were a kid.

• edited 2012-03-27 20:53:29

Ah. I've only watched a few episodes, and what I saw were 1-D characters and ridiculous scenarios typical of 80's cartoons.

I'm not even that big of a trans-fan (I didn't even watch the most recent cartoon even though I watched G.I. Joe Renegades) but I know enough about them that there is a lot of brickwork for really great action sci-fi. And Beast Wars is actually genuinely pretty awesome.

Even if the original cartoon was as bad as the movies that isn't an excuse. Coming from dubious source material did not stop Pirates of The Carribean from being pretty awesome. You can make a good movie out of anything provided you actually care.

• "This does come off as hypocritical, but why are you so obsessed with this topic? I'm just curious." Things don't wear off for me. I randomly remember things, and I'm just as annoyed with them as I was on the day I first discovered them, especially if people still do the thing/haven't fixed the problem.

• edited 2012-03-27 21:08:09

"And Beast Wars is actually genuinely pretty awesome."

Agreed, since it was produced by people who had as much respect for good characterization as the they did for the original mythos.

I guess I just have a problem with the whole "______ ruined my childhood" aspect of the whole thing as if people are defined by the cartoons they liked as a kid. It's one thing to criticize a movie for bad direction, but it's another to obsess over something you would otherwise ignore.

^Sometimes, I wonder if we should just have sticky threads for those recurring bugs. Then again, new topics would be relegated to page 2 at best.

• And you know what? My little brothers are probably going to see this movie, and they're probably going to like it. Because they're still part of the target audience and 20-somethings who watched the original show aren't.

• edited 2012-03-27 21:08:12
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'm not saying there are no people who overreact. However, I hate how people aren't allowed to take issue with the fact that people who like a franchise aren't allowed to be upset that they're changing the basic premise or whatnot. 

^Bullshit. Nostalgia 20-somethings are definitely a part of the target. That's the whole point of reviving old franchises.

And 'it's for kids it's allowed to suck' is shitty logic.

• edited 2012-03-27 21:09:54
    You can change. You can.

I'm not saying there are no people who overreact. However, I hate how people aren't allowed to take issue with the fact that people who like a franchise aren't allowed to be upset that they're changing the basic premise or whatnot.

Agreeing one hundred per cent with this statement and adding that the right to complain is a god given right, goddamnit

stupid tautologies aside, my main issue with this kind of thread is that it doesn't understand a core problem to it all and that is the fact that this movies gain money and encourage artistic stagnation for the whole industry.

• edited 2012-03-27 21:12:35

The original Transformers cartoon can get pretty bad, really. The Constructicons had three different (rather contradicting) origin stories, for one thing.

Aaaand way ninja'd.

• The old series was already kind of a cynical cash-grabbing betrayal of the comic books.

• "my main issue with this kind of thread is that it doesn't understand a core problem to it all and that is the fact that this movies gain money and encourage artistic stagnation for the whole industry."

Hmm...that's an issue with consumers generally buying brandnames over products. It would be hard to specifically promote art within a system designed to maximize profits.

Plenty of artists make money by giving their stuff away for free over the internet now.

• The old series was already kind of a cynical cash-grabbing betrayal of the comic books.

Huh? They were made concurrently with each other. And the comics were pretty cash-grabbing anyway.

• edited 2012-03-27 21:20:21

Internet recognition is still a popularity contest though (and now I'm not sure what isn't), and as such, the brandname issue still applies. It's the result of people not doing research into their media and just going with the familiar based on them sort of knowing what they're getting.

• I thought Myr was the one who snipes at people who complain about GENERIC HOLLYWOOD ACTRESSes.

^^^Right. They were initially always an attempt to make money through toys after Star Wars' made Lucas a bajillionare that way. 

^^By that logic buying a book by an author I like is a brandname issue.

• edited 2012-03-27 21:28:15

It is, though in that case then you have the additional knowledge of the author's reputation, including strengths and flaws. I'm not trying to imply that it's necessarily a bad thing, but it's just something that happens and one has to account for it.

• Ah. I've only watched a few episodes, and what I saw were 1-D characters and ridiculous scenarios typical of 80's cartoons.

Yeah, pretty much.  Beast Wars was about the only one that I thought was a decent story.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Come on guys, if you're going to complain about Myrmidon making an incomprehensible OP, at least do it when he makes an incomprehensible one and not one that's as straight-forward as this. 

No one said anything about it being incomprehensible. Actually read the posts.