If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Google instant search

edited 2012-03-27 13:52:43 in Webspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Fuck this.

1. This makes the search results page load more slowly because it loads multiple times, once for every guess it makes of what I want to search.  And the guesses it makes are flat out wrong over 99% of the time.

2. The cursor focus stays inside the search bar.  Even if you scroll down and actually look at your search results...what was that?  Did you press a letter or character key by accident?  Oops, search results gone.

All the more reason to use a browser search bar or simply a different search engine.  Duck Duck Go and Ixquick recommended since they don't keep search history.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, it's really, really annoying.

Didn't they let you turn it off at some point? What happened to that?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Streamlining offerings = doing away with customizability features.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Ah, found it. They just moved the switch that turns it off here.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well that's hilarious.  When I save changes, it pops up a dialog box saying my preferences have been saved, and then redirects me to a 404 page saying that it can't find /forums/discussion/10180/google-instant-search .

• edited 2012-03-27 14:01:02
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That's hilarious.

When I did it, it returned me to the previous page, which was a Google FAQ page. Seems they've assumed nobody will find it from elsewhere.

• While this could also have to do with my browser, what bugs me more is that when it loads it often "skips", making it so that part of the text is missing (example -> exple) or, for some reason, the cursor goes back to the beginning of the text (example -> mpleexa).

• edited 2012-03-27 20:55:19
    (void)

http://ddg.gg Just use DuckDuckGo.  It also has the feature of not tracking you.