If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Internet anime reviewer kills family

edited 2012-03-25 20:50:57 in Media

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2012/03/trey_eric_sesler_anime_murder.php

Really depressing. I'm kind of interested in watching this guy's videos now to see if there's any mental degeneration, but I'm kind of scared to do so.

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, wait, I heard about this. Damn, though.

• "KHOU is reporting that Sesler told investigators that he kiled his family because he was planning a Columbine-type school shooting and did not want them to have to face it."

That is pretty creepy to say the least. The sentence is worded in a sympathetic way despite it being the opposite of sympathetic. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I have no idea who this guy is, but what the fuck happened in his head?

I have to say, I'm really annoyed by all the people who're worrying about this affecting the reputation of anime fans; that's not the issue here.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I'd have cracked a joke, but a good pun'd require knowledge of anime, which I unfortunately lack.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

On the other hand, the comments section shows drama and ignorance on both fronts. It's not about anime, certainly, but then some commentators have written about how this reaction is typical of anime fans, or how anime fans are like X or Y -- ignoring, themselves, the real issue and taking an opportunity to snipe at a fanbase. It also makes said anime fans feel more defensive. 

While worrying about how this reflects on anime fans is certainly beside the point, it wasn't some great sin. What is harmful, though, is enforcing that cycle of perceived social vulnerability in the fanbase. 'Cause next time an article like that is written, the anime fans will feel as though they need to defend themselves again, because they got blasted last time. 

On all accounts, it draws attention away from the murders and the state of the person guilty for them, and if I were to cast disapproval on anyone, it would be the aggressive party who turned a harmless comment into drama. 

I'd have cracked a joke

why would you do that

• You can change. You can.

because some people have the sensibility of a hungry lion

• No lie, on the forum where I first found this, it was almost nothing but jokes about anime, and then it derailed into a discussion about the merits of anime as a genre and whether it does, indeed, have any merits.

Barely anyone was being serious about how someone murdered their family what the fuck

• edited 2012-03-26 10:53:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

That said, I'm thankful that the police got a hold of this guy before he went on his alleged planned school shooting rampage.

Has anyone else seen a comment about this aspect of the story yet, between news websites and discussion forums?

That said...there IS a difference between a headline "Teen kills family" with a subheader "Was known on Youtube as 'Mr. Anime'" and "Internet anime reviewer kills family" as a the headline.  I mean, what if I were to say "Texas teen kills family"?  Then people would be going crazy (albeit a bit less so than currently over anime) over Texas.  Or if I'd said "White boy kills family", then people would be lobbing accusations of white supremacism.  So the headlines are partially to blame.  Of course, headlines are generated by people, who themselves have a choice of aspects to latch onto.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I could be serious, but this doesn't concern me any more than any random murder far away, as I don't watch anime, so serious contribution on my part would be along the lines of "oh, pity". Plus there are events and events, and the second kind of them just asks for silly comments, like that case when a guy choked his wife to death over his Luke Skywalker figurine, or that case when kids were taught mathematics by counting how many times a Black slave was whipped. In this case, I thought whether I could substitute "I put your X in your Y, so you can..." ("I killed my family, so I wouldn't have to kill my family", or something) joke for an anime joke, but my imagination failed me on this account.

I could be serious, but this doesn't concern me any more than any random murder far away, as I don't watch anime, so serious contribution on my part would be along the lines of "oh, pity"

Well, in that case, don't comment on it; regardless of the details behind the case, people were murdered.

• edited 2012-03-26 11:33:24
    Diet NEET

Which doesn't preclude someone from expressing their apathy or cracking a joke at it. Humour and relativizing are both valid coping mechanisms.

Of course, that doesn't mean you have to grin and bear such behaviour if you find it tacky.

The thing is, if you're not contributing to discussion and you're not interested in the topic at hand, then why post in the first place? I mean, why not go to another forum or thread and comment on something you're actually interested in? You just end up wasting everybody's time.

• Beats me. Perhaps as a reaction to people caring too much in the poster's opinion, he or she enters tries to deflate the discussion by showing apathy or making bad jokes? Can't say I ever had that urge myself, but I can see how some peeps would have.

• edited 2012-03-26 12:07:00
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^^ I only waste everybody's time if they concern themselves with my post there, you know. Why won't you pay attention to it only when it's relevant? It's not like I'm spamming the whole thread, and not feeding the troll is the standard way of dealing with such posts. And it's not like I'm uninterested in the topic - rather, due to the lack of identification with the issue, my interest is only deep enough to crack jokes at it. Thus I wrote a single post, and left.

Oh, by the way, and for a comparison, that post about Dwarf Fortress in that thread about the soldier who went apeshit could have had meaning. If you're curious, the issue then struck me as that kind of insanity that's usually relegated to games. This time, I'd say it's what I wrote above. Some issues are just crazy enough that it is hard to grasp them with a straight face (in either way), as obvious as it is that they're a bad outcome, and as I say such treatment is preferable to the depressiveness it may cause otherwise. Or you may also say that sometimes a sad event like a murder or accident happens in a highly atypical way, and these circumstances grant it the vis comica the rest doesn't have.

• I'll go microwave the popcorn left over from my b-day, this gonna get flamey like San Francisco.

oooh, boy someone's feeling defensive today. 

i'd bite, but i have things to take care of right now, so whatever, peace.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur
    Well, Eastern European gallows humor doesn't lie well with the westerners. I learned it the hard way a long ago, so I avoid it nowadays.

Forgive lrdgck, this is something characteristic to all of us east of the Berlin wall.

If I may step in for a moment...

I think that, as a site whose purpose is discussing things, shouldn't just be all sympathy-expressing and stuff when people die.  Of course, we do feel bad for those people who did die, especially from untimely deaths, but it ought to be par for the course for us to discuss what their deaths and whatever caused them means, for society on a broader scale.

Of course, this doesn't mean that we should be completely callous about others' deaths.  If you want to insert some gallows humor, you can, but please do it tastefully and make clear that what you say is in jest, not in dismissal.

• edited 2012-03-26 13:48:42
    Has friends besides tanks now

I wouldn't want to prevent discussion of other matters pertaining to the case, certainly, but I guess I just don't get joking about tragedy as a coping mechanism, nor do I get making a post for the sake of stating the intention to make a joke. And that's as much as I care to discuss what happened here.

Well, Eastern European gallows humor doesn't lie well with the westerners. I learned it the hard way a long ago, so I avoid it nowadays.

Forgive lrdgck, this is something characteristic to all of us east of the Berlin wall.

Maybe I misspoke. I don't mind the fact that he joked about it. I don't mind gallows humor or black comedy in general. My real problem is, though. the simple fact that he came in here to say "Oh hey, I might or might not make a joke, but the amount of fucks I give are not enough for me to make it yet they are enough for me to come here"

And that kind of behaviour kinda bothers me not because it's dismissal of a thread (I sincerely believe that if an OP is stupid, it should be called out) but because it doesn't either contribute to discussion or point out anything wrong or stupid going on. It's just a unnecessary post

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    "Oh hey, I might or might not make a joke, but the amount of fucks I give are not enough for me to make it yet they are enough for me to come here"

That is a very specific level of fuck.

It's a level of fuck that apparently many reach. I call it the anti-Nirvana of fucks as it doesn't involve the full nirvana that not giving a single fuck implies and leads to heinous butthurtiness.

Clearly, we need Aon, as the most competent when it comes to Nirvanas, to explore the concept of the anti-Nirvana of fucks.

@Charity: why, thank you. 

@Juan: you know, perhaps I felt defensive, though I think that had I approached it from an external perspective, I could have come to a conclusion that it was an act of trolling meant to prolong the offtop. Mhm, would you say it's weird? I accuse myself of being a possible troll.

As it seems you (understandably) wish it, as much as I can foresee it, in the future I will refrain from posting at this level of fuck. Actually it was closer to "I don't give many fucks but can't describe it well, so I'll just say how many I'd give if I could", but I can see what you mean.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I think anybody sensible can safely say that him liking anime had little to nothing to do with the fact that he's totally crazy and murdered people. The issue is the kid and he needs to be dealt with.

I'm really not sure what people do with kids like this. I guess a rehabilitation attempt is what's going to happen?

I see you decided to rerail the thread, good for you. 

So I'd say, 22 is not really a kid. And yeah, I doubt anime had any measurable effect (had he just went apeshit on his school, I'd say it theoretically could have been related to bullying or something, going apeshit on his family means he's just nuts), though I'd also say that it seems to me, at this level of crazy I guess Teletubbies could have been enough of a trigger.

I'm really not sure what people do with kids like this. I guess a rehabilitation attempt is what's going to happen?

it's what ought to happen, at least.

^^ He was already planning to go apeshit on his school, allegedly.

• edited 2012-03-26 17:34:00
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^^Even so, I think there's a pretty strong case for insanity here.