If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

First they called themselves Blackwater, then Xe...

edited 2012-03-23 20:14:19 in General

...and now they're Academi?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi

Weird.

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.

Nothing more academic than terrorising innocent people!

• Maybe they think that if they change their name enough times, everyone will forget who they were!

I hate these guys if only because they helped ruin the term "private contractor" in the context of our wars. That term covers a huge range of civilians that do so many useful and harmless things over in Iraq and Afghanistan, but now everyone thinks it just means evil mercenaries.

I rant about this because I wrote a paper on it in high school.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> I hate these guys if only because they helped ruin the term "private contractor" in the context of our wars. That term covers a huge range of civilians that do so many useful and harmless things over in Iraq and Afghanistan, but now everyone thinks it just means evil mercenaries.

• Nice to see that you agree, I guess. 

It was very enlightening to realize that basically ALL the foodservice, and driving supplies around, and stuff like that is all done by civilian contractors, and they don't have the same benefits and opportunities available to military personnel, and no one back home here has basically any idea they exist unless you personally know one or are related to them.

(My eyes were similarly opened when I volunteered at a hospital and realized that transportation of medicine and blood for transfusions and blood samples taken from people and the flowers that get delivered to you in your room and mail that gets delivered to every floor and even the actual discharging of patients from the hospital...is all done by unpaid "civilian" volunteers with no special training, rather than nurses or something. But this topic isn't about that.)

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> It was very enlightening to realize that basically ALL the foodservice, and driving supplies around, and stuff like that is all done by civilian contractors, and they don't have the same benefits and opportunities available to military personnel, and no one back home here has basically any idea they exist unless you personally know one or are related to them.

So basically, these sorts of roles are the kinds that are taken for granted.