If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I feel like I'm playing fighting games for the wrong reasons.

edited 2012-03-22 01:13:36 in Media
They're somethin' else.

When I look up videos on youtube, all I ever find is combo exhibition after combo exhibition after combo exhibition, and those things just put me to sleep.

And other videos, all I see in tourney footage is what basically amounts to as the Geddan Dance in fighting game form. Lame, lame, LAME.

Though now that I think of it, I'm not sure why I like the genre all that much. I'm not even that good in it.

Comments

• No rainbow star

The reason you should play it is for fun

You obviously wouldn't have fun playing them tourney style

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-03-22 02:34:47
    No clue. I kind of wonder why do I like them too. Though I do find tournament stuff interesting for certain games.

•  

Alternatively:

• There are no "wrong reasons". Just fucking play.

• edited 2012-03-22 05:02:42
    My arms are falling off!

The reason you should play it is for fun

Even though this is missing the point...
    IJBM: When people say "don't play the hardcore/tournament/expert way, play for fun." Implying that one's own definition of fun is objective and anyone who doesn't play that way is not enjoying themselves. It's not much better than Smash tourneyheads saying that people who don't play No-Items-Final-Destination are stupid.

A better way to word it would be:

Don't play like the pros if you don't think it's fun. Play by your own definition of fun instead.

To get back on topic: This is why I'll only play fighting games with fellow casuals. I mean hey, people credit feed shmups, take 3 minutes to finish the 0-100 section of Tetris TGM, and play the default song over and over on arcade rhythm games, I have every right to casual it up in fighting games. YOU SCRUBBED MY BACK, I'M GONNA SCRUB YOURS

• There are no "wrong reasons". Just fucking play.

Well, there's ryona, which I'd say is a wrong reason.  But aside from that, yeah, just fucking play.

• I don't think ryona is a wrong reason.

It's sure as hell a weird reason, and I'd rather not hear about people playing games because of it, but... I dunno. 

• You can change. You can.

Ryona?

• Sexual fetish relating to watching girls get hurt, usually in video games or anime or similar.

• I'm a damn twisted person

So basically sadism mixed with misogyny and a healthy helping of insecure young male. 

• You can change. You can.

The perfect recipe.

• Combo exhibitions are made for flash and are impractical in actual tourney settings most of the time.

Anyways, most people don't have the time to memorize elaborate movelists and test out advanced techniques, so if you're just playing with friends, it shouldn't matter.

• They're somethin' else.

True. I suppose I like fighting games for the aesthetic of it all. a lot of those games have fucking awesome character designs and soundtracks.

Though I really just like how no nonsense, pick up, play and learn as you go the genre is.

• ^ Sounds like me. I play Warcraft III for its atmosphere and storyline, even though I suck at RTS's.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I play Warcraft III for its atmosphere and storyline, even though I suck at RTS's.

Same.  Also, Starcraft.

I've kind of always wanted to play fighting games, but I'm wary of spending a lot of money on a game that I might hate. 

When I get myself a Vita, though, one of the first games I'm going to pick up is BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend, since apparently that one's good for beginners, and I have a friend who's always talking about those games.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I haven't gotten to CS, but as I understand it, it's generally recommended to play through Calamity Trigger first.

• edited 2012-03-22 14:32:47
    Has friends besides tanks now

For what it's worth, Continuum Shift Extend has an option where you can play through the main events of Calamity Trigger in chronological order, with a bit of extra info provided that you didn't get when palying Calamity Trigger itself. But the series is pretty heavy on story, so I'd recommend playing Calamity Trigger first, as well. You'll probably find it cheaper, too.