If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

All these people having difficulties finding/holding jobs . . .

edited 2012-03-19 19:40:13 in General
Has friends besides tanks now

. . . and I'm considering quitting mine. I feel like this is a new level of stupid for me, or at the very least, it's the current peak of what I'm almost certain qualifies as depression at this point.

Comments

• edited 2012-03-19 20:25:01
    Loser

Well, all jobs are not equal, right? I mean, I would guess that a lot of people having difficulties finding/holding jobs right now are in pretty different situations than yourself so whether or not you quit does not really impact them. If you were on your own with no support network for example, I think quitting might have a greater effect on your well-being.

That being said, I imagine that dealing with the core issue here, which you suggest might be depression, is the important thing. I cannot say for sure, but there is a chance that quitting your job would just make you more depressed by messing with your self-esteem and/or causing negative reactions from others.

• A few years ago, my mother was working a warehouse job that cranked its production requirements so high it was starting to cause more medical costs in stress injuries than she was actually getting paid.  So yeah, it is possible for a job to just suck so badly you'd actually be better off unemployed.

• edited 2012-03-19 21:04:38

^^ That's all true enough (well, except maybe the part where quitting would be bad for my self-esteem; I don't think it would). I'm still in high school, so I still have a pretty secure support network, and I could thus afford to quit, if I really wanted to. If I were on my own . . . well, first of all, I'd probably be working a lot more, looking for more things to do, and/or trying to find a better-paying job, but yeah, quitting without scouting another job out first would be a lousy idea.

As it is, my mom doesn't want me quitting because that way I might have some money to bring to college (though if I had it my way I'd blow it all on PortCon and Anime Boston. >.>), and that way I wouldn't be sitting around the house all day (not that I couldn't drive around and find something to do, I guess; I have a car now).

^ Ouch. My job doesn't actually suck that badly (yet; it's lifeguarding, and I've been fortunate enough not to need to perform any rescues so far). It's just now occurred to me, though, that a person in my condition might not be the best person to entrust other people's lives to. And people-watching for a job sucks surprisingly hard. Well, I don't really have anything to compare it to, but at least at most other jobs I'd be mentally engaged.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You mentioned that you'd taken on a big shift lately, I remember.  How about cutting those hours?

• edited 2012-03-19 21:10:23

That was just one shift. I only work seven hours a week unless I actually go and fill in for someone.

That's also the thing; I only really work enough that I'd accumulate splurging/gas/eating out money. Wouldn't probably put a significant dent in college payments, which is why I'm holding out for tons o' scholarship/grant money from Susquehanna.

That shift also ended up not being so bad because I got to have a conversation with a cute coworker I hadn't talked to before (different from the one I'm considering asking to prom).