If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"You'll want kids one day. Trust me."

edited 2012-03-19 17:50:14 in Meatspace
Has friends besides tanks now

Or, mom, you could stop bitching about the possibility that you might not be a grandmother since we've been over this multiple times, and quit being so smug and insisting that I'll eventually want to drag around a little kid who'll be all "ARARARARA" in restaurants, and not give me that look when I mention adoption, and stop reminding me that I was a kid once. -sigh-

tl;dr: We went to Friendly's and it was much more aggravating than I'd expected it to be.

Comments

• a little muffled

To be honest the chances are fairly high (if far from guaranteed) that she's right.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Give yourself ten more years before making the call.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

This is something you won't really be able to say for sure until you're a fair bit older, sorry.

However, I don't see why adoption would be so much worse than having a kid of your own, in your mother's eye.

• edited 2012-03-19 18:06:37
    Has friends besides tanks now

Well, this is all true enough. Mostly, I just wish she wouldn't be so smug about it. I mean, looking back, my OP was more bitching about her attitude than whether or not I'll want kids.

I'm really uncomfortable around kids, though.

Dude you're arguing with a parent. Chances are it's better to just shut up, smile, nod and let them think you agree with them. 

• Has friends besides tanks now

In this case, it's a little late for that, and in any case I find the notion that I ought to just play along with everything she says to be unacceptable.

• a little muffled

@Everest: Don't get me wrong, I find that kind of I'm-older-so-I-know-better smugness annoying too. Just that what she said is not entirely unreasonable.

• For me, kids are swell in small doses once they have some semblance of self-sufficiency, but I'd hate to bear end responsibility for one. Since my study will probably make me end up as a teacher anyway, I don't really have any need for spawn of myself, I figure.

Oh I'm not saying agree with her. I'm saying pick your battles. 

• Kids are bad for the environment, ya know.

Yeah, you never know with these things, but it's still a decision not to be taken lightly. After all, people who don't want to invest time and effort into caring for their kids shouldn't have kids.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I have been legally forbidden to breed in five states.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Breeder!

• You can change. You can.

Mine is more of a moral matter. 

Either way, I always thought that the idea that not being interested in having kids is an immature concept has always kind of bothered me, even if it can be somewhat immature.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

It's all your call, but like others said, you'll never know what life has in store for you.

I want to have a family, myself.

• "Either way, I always thought that the idea that not being interested in having kids is an immature concept has always kind of bothered me, even if it can be somewhat immature."

What bugs me about that is the implied obligation for people to get married and have kids, which doesn't take into account an individual's perception of free will.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Personally, I think that a life is somehow... empty if nothing is done to try to positively influence the world around you, even for a little bit. If you find yourself unable to do so, at least bring new life to the world and try equipping them to do what you couldn't. But, again, it all falls down to choice, and you aren't obliged to do anything.

• I think that a common issue is projecting one's failed ambitions on children. Certainly I aim to do what I can for the world and one of the things I find intimidating is the prospect of balancing family life with outside life.

• I'm roughly the same age my mother was when she had me, and I know I'm nowhere near ready to have kids. Not just because I don't "want" kids, but because I don't think I'd be a good parent to them, even assuming I was magically able to provide for them financially.

I have sometimes wondered whether my position on having kids might change later on if I become financially stable and feel I could take care of them properly, but really there's nothing to do but wait and see.