If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

So one of my videos got blocked for copyright

edited 2012-03-18 19:49:44 in General

Said video was a long clip of static that I titled "Dragon Tales s1e1" as a Candle Cove joke.

The people claiming copyright: Formula One Management.

I don't know what the fuck any of this means, but what can I do about it?

Comments

• You didn't know?  Speed racing holds exclusive rights to blank static screens.

• No rainbow star

One day a little boy or girl is going to upload one of his/her favourite episodes of a show and end up crying SO hard when every company in existence latches onto the video and makes YouTube explode

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-03-18 21:48:29

You can petition Youtube to put it back up, but it puts a ludicrous and disproportionate amount of liability on you and forces it to go to court.  The appeal process basically involves sending Youtube a counter-notice stating your case of wrongful takedown under penalty of perjury and consenting to a Federal Court decision.

Naturally, nobody ever does it, because 1) there's a good chance corporate lawyers will sodomize you raw and get you fined into the ground for daring to oppose their rent-seeking, and 2) even if you win, it's still a shitload of legal fees all around.

Here's an example of a rare win, but the key factor in the decision appears to be Prince going on an unusually noisy crusade.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Did your video ever successfully upload?  Did it survive long enough to get flagged?

• It's a copyright troll, probably. They have to take the video down before they check to see if the complaint is valid. You know, instead of the other way around.

Also, it could be a copyright holder just flagging it without actually watching it.  Imagine you were a copyrighted material monitor for a company; how much time would you take to verify that you were flagging something that was actually offensive?

• I wondered that at first, but looking into it, it doesn't appear Formula One holds rights over anything non-racing related.  They wouldn't have any claim over PBS cartoons with uncanny animation to begin with.

Well, if you're going to file a counterclaim, you should figure out whether having misleading content/title is a strike against the video uploader.

Also, if you want to flag a test video or if you'd like to offer a test video to be flagged, I'm willing to try that out, just to see the interface.

• Formula One Management reviewed my dispute and relinquished the charge.

I love days like today.
  • That's good.

...you know I remember the thread that spawned that video.

• I remember that thread too! :D

Suddenly, I feel like I should make 1-minute videos with blank content and call them "The Office s1 e1", "Bleach s2 e1", "Inception part 6", etc.

• Well that's one way to get easy dislikes.

Yeah, i shouldn't do that on my main account.  Should make a new one before doing that.

Then again, if the video instead has a still image of "I WONDER WHETHER THIS VIDEO WILL GET TAKEDOWN'D FOR COPYRIGHT REASONS", the purpose might be more obvious.