If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

All Phantasy Star games are MMOs these days.

edited 2012-03-14 21:44:41 in Media

Okay, SEGA, I get that PS Online was really popular, but after playing PSIV on the Wii Virtual console, I really want to see you guys take another shot a a traditional turn-based RPG. You've got quite a bit of talent, and I'd certainly love to see something that isn't a re-release and/or or a Sonic game.

This is what I'd imagine Phantasy Star V would look like:

The game would be set several hundred years after the last entry, and would span multiple worlds, possibly even some outside the Algol star system.

So, the plot would basically be that bad stuff is happening, and the characters have to stop it. They do enough research to find out about the Profound Darkness, the Dark Force incarnations, etc, and assume that they weren't destroyed after all.

The major plot twist is that the bad things are actually being caused by Light Force, an emissary of the Great Light, the Profound Darkness's opposite and the one who created Algol to seal the Darkness away, in the hopes that the civilizations that emerged would one day destroy it. Now that the task is complete, the Great Light seeks to purge Algol of any remaining darkness, which just so happens to exist in the hearts of all living things.

In my mind, this seems to be a fitting plot twist, as one of the major themes of Phantasy Star IV was how Chaz, the protagonist, felt that the Great Light didn't care for Algol's people and saw them only as a means to an end. Turns out it's even worse, the Great Light is actively hostile to the living things it helped create and only kept them around to destroy an even greater enemy.

Comments

• I kind of want to see another PS IV style one, but then I remember that it was the anomaly in an otherwise excruciating series and would rather it stay ended on a high note.

• edited 2012-03-14 21:48:16

The first Phantasy Star, IMO, would have been great if it weren't for a couple "Guide Dang It" moments. I assume the same goes for the second, but I haven't played it.

Hell, I'd kill for a DS/3DS remake of the first Phantasy Star that did away with the Guide Dang It and added a mapping feature to the bottom screen. It'd be just like Etrian Odyssey.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-03-14 22:00:58

You must find a robot named Hapsby.

No I'm not telling you he's halfway across the world in a completely random ghost town, buried in an utterly indistinctive pile of trash out of several, and you can only search them using potions that you can only get in a second completely random town on the other other side of the world and can only carry one at a time.  Why the hell would you need to know that?

Enemies in a 7 floor dungeon that can force you to use half your item stock to recover your party from a single attack?  Sure, why not?

Having to consume highly limited MP to disarm invisible traps in the floor that drop you into previous floors, but fail to follow general assumptions of Euclidean space and drop you arbitrary places that don't even correspond to where you fell from?  Yeah, okay.

Noah is such a useless sack of shit that you might actually get through the game quicker if you didn't have to sit through his turn?  GREAT idea!

I mean holy hell, not even the first two Dragon Warrior games were that vicious.

• edited 2012-03-14 22:07:52

Like I said, it would be a great game if it didn't have some design issues. Balance the enemy stats a bit, give the player more information on what needs to be done, and you'd have Etrian Odyssey.

Oh, you know what else needs a revisit?

Skies of Arcadia! And Shenmue, too! Too bad we'll never see those IPs ever agai-

http://www.destructoid.com/sega-says-fans-crave-shenmue-skies-of-arcadia-revivals-223860.phtml

Wow! Never mind then!

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I should probably play Shenmue at some point. It sounds good.

"We can't say yes or no" sounds like "yes" to me. After all, if the answer were no, they could say that, couldn't they?

• The only thing I actually know about Shenmue is that it involves sailors somehow.

• Skies I can totally get behind.  Shenmue...well, I won't judge.

Out loud.  >_>

• But you never had any to begin with.

PSIV wasn't exactly free of ridiculous quests. Like the second Hunter's Guild mission. "Find this dog, which has traipsed across the continent to a random town. ...You didn't have shortcake? Too bad! He's now run off to another town, which is probably on the other side of the world!"

• edited 2012-03-15 10:14:27
    Loser

Zennistrad,
    Was what was said in that interview in reference actual new Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia games or  re-releases and ports? Judging by the interview, it sounds like the Sega spokesperson was just talking about what Dreamcast ports have been the most requested by fans.

Lai,
    The only thing I actually know about Shenmue is that it involves sailors somehow.