If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A US soldier in Afghanistan has shot dead 15 civilians and wounded others.

edited 2012-03-11 09:58:07 in Politics
I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

BBC article.

He is reported to have walked off his base at around 03:00 local time (22:30 GMT Saturday) and headed to nearby villages, moving methodically from house to house.

US Afghan relations are pretty sure to considerably worsened by this.

Comments

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Because US-Afghan relations are usually so peaches and cream.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

^
    Exactly.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

My first thought was "wow, I did it once in Dwarf Fortress".

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^^ No, it's called "more shit hitting the fan even harder".

^ And exactly what is this supposed to mean?

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^ That Dwarf Fortress is that crazy. As someone on DF forums said: "I sometimes wonder why God allows this game to exist".

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

^
    How utterly relevant to the topic of a US soldier (allegedly?) having a mental breakdown and going out of his base and murdering civilians among which are nine children. Which in turn will strain the already very 'delicate' US-Afghan relations.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Hey, the only thing wackier than murder is child murder! Wakka wakka wakka!

In addition, it may have been more than one person, with the military claiming one to prevent more people from getting in trouble.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/11/us-afghanistan-civilians-idUSBRE82A02V20120311

• edited 2012-03-11 17:17:25
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^^ Where did I say it's relevant?

• You can change. You can.

Well, when you post something it's because you think it's relevant, so...you did imply it, at least.

• edited 2012-03-11 17:32:37
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

^^^
    Yeah I read that in the BBC article but the details are scant, if it is true it even worse and less likely to be due to mental breakdowns.

^^
    Nowhere, however it may help to have maybe made a relevant comment, or at least not posted about a serious act of violence with 'hey I did this in a videogame'

• edited 2012-03-11 17:40:55
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

It could have been relevant, I guess, but I started to play along. You know, I not really am a dedicated troll, so if you want it too, I guess we can drop this topic.

• A senior U.S. defense official in Washington rejected witness accounts that several apparently drunk soldiers were involved. "Based on the preliminary information we have this account is flatly wrong," the official said. "We believe one U.S. service member acted alone, not a group of U.S. soldiers."

So...while it's true that eyewitness reports can be unreliable to an extent, bluntly dismissing all of the witnesses based on "preliminary information" is not going to help shake the image that there's a systemic problem here.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Between this and disposing of Qurans mistaken for trash, I don't think this is going ANYWHERE good.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^Are you talking about the burning incident? Because if so, I didn't think that was how it happened.

• Has friends besides tanks now

^, ^^ The incident I heard of was the one where messages were being passed along in prisons, or something, within Qurans, so the soldiers burnt them to stop the messages from flowing.

^Half right. They asked some Muslim religious leaders what they were supposed to do with Qurans that had been used that way, and the answer was "burn them." But the people who found out about it thought they were just randomly burning Qurans.

Well, my post isn't inaccurate; it just left out some fine details.

Well, the reason they did it wasn't to stop the messages from flowing.

Oh. So, more just to cleanse books that had been defiled, or something like that?

• edited 2012-03-11 19:16:41
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, that's how I understand it.

Of course, that doesn't really have any bearing on this massacre, which is just plain disgusting no matter how you look at it.

Yeah. I didn't initially jump in because I don't have generally anything new or interesting to say in the face of tragedy.

• a little muffled

Well, the reason they did it wasn't to stop the messages from flowing.

Sure it was, if not quite directly. Stopping the messages was why they confiscated them in the first place, yeah?

^Well, yeah, but it's not why they burned them.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-03-11 19:34:34

More likely than not it was a generous case of common ground to put a stop to something that was going to stir up a lot of shit neither party wanted to deal with (more insurrection).  And then performed clumsily enough that shit stirred up anyway (US symbolically destroying your culture).

• edited 2012-03-11 20:48:38
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

In the Quran burning controversy I actually wonder if anyone was trollfacing that.