If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Higgs boson makes no sense

edited 2012-03-09 21:47:53 in Philosophy
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

So the Higgs field is what gives particles their mass. Particles are more massive if they interact with this field more.

Why do they interact with the field more? Physics says that it's because they're more massive, but they only have mass because they interact with the Higgs field and aaaaaaaa

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

No matter how much we figure out about the universe, at some point we will have to say "because that's just how it is."

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Higher science concepts are confusing. Whoda thunk.

• ^^ This is why, from a pure philosophical standpoint, induction is impossible.

• No rainbow star
    I remember hearing once that manipulation of the Higgs Boson particle could allow for near light speed travel?
  • Quantum physics is just nonsense that God put into the universe because he assumed humans would never care about such things.

• a little muffled

That makes too much sense.

• edited 2012-03-10 17:10:28
    No rainbow star
    ^^ "Oh me, they... They're actually RESEARCHING this stuff!? ...Crap, wait until they learn that Skyrim has fewer bugs than real life"
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

"I really should have ran this place through a debugger before opening it to beta testing..."

• No rainbow star
    Unless...

What if WE'RE the debugger!?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

That...

shit

• You can change. You can.

I'm pretty sure God would be just like, "Who cares? Pass the cookies, Walter. And let's go bowling or something"

why yes, the dude is god

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Which is why you don't fuck with The Jesus.

• >"wait until they learn that Skyrim has fewer bugs than real life"

Or an anthill.

/rimshot

• No rainbow star
    ^^^^ The meaning of life is to help make the final product ready for release D:
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Or an anthill.

This is true. Ants are not bugs, they are insects. Therefore, an anthill contains few to no bugs.

• edited 2012-03-11 00:06:10

Informally, bugs refers to insects, though not exclusively.  Formally, a "bug" is a member of a particular order of insects.  So regardless of what you meant, being an insect does not prevent something from being a bug, and may actually be necessary.  That said, it's true that ants aren't bugs in the stricter, nobody-actually-uses-this sense, I'm pretty sure.

• No rainbow star
    I've used the term bug to also refer to arachnids
  • edited 2012-03-11 09:36:16

Right.  So does everyone who's not nitpicking.  Also it gets used to refer to worms and the like.  But in any case, the point is that it always at least refers to insects, so being an insect doesn't prevent something from being a bug.