If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Let's talk about the nature of complaints

edited 2012-03-08 21:46:35 in General

Okay, this was about bioware bitching getting annoying

Comments

• And that's the mentality that allows charities with dubious motives to gain support: when everyone complaining is told to shut up because they're annoying.

• Not even remotely the same thing.

• You can change. You can.

There is a truth to the fact that shutting down complaints because they're annoying instead of their validity is not exactly what we call a good thing

• edited 2012-03-08 21:47:16
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    i know that feel, myrm

i know that feel

While I don't agree with shutting down criticism, this crap has made me understand wanting to cover my ears, scream, and beat my face bloody on my desk over complaining.

EDIT:god damn it myrm
  • You can change. You can.

Murr, can't you not do that, Myrmidon? the whole "Edit your post so we look like idiots" thing? Please? I'll even give you a copy of Borges' translation of Schopenhauer's works or someshit

• I know that whining wankers are the most annoying thing ever, but No Negativity is bad because it lumps all whiners in the wanker category regardless of their content.

• In my opinion, people shouldn't be half as annoyed by complaining as they generally are, especially over the Internet, and they definitely shouldn't cowtow to people's demands just to shut them up. If you do that, only to turn around and say "They were causing too much shit, what else was I supposed to do?", I say "Grow some backbone. Or block these people's email addresses, whichever you're more capable of."

Of course, I use "complaining" here as a euphemism for "whining", which itself is often a euphemism for "I have dog ears, apparently".

• edited 2012-03-08 22:04:35

That depends. If the evidence for the complaints is bad, relies on points refuted a thousand times (like climate change denial, the example I always bring up), or even simply made up, then I think people have grounds to be annoyed since all it does is obstruct reasonable debate. Even legitimate complaints can be made irritating when people repeatedly bring up grievances over something relatively inconsequential.

Your other comment about growing backbone is uncomfortably reminiscent of the sentiment used to shut up victims of bullying. I'd tread cautiously on that one. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Wait, this thread is about complaining about Bioware?  I thought it was a thread about No Negativity.

• There is a difference between complaining and whining. That much I learned from a certain childrens' show involving anthropomorphic quadrupedal mammals. 

Back to the point, most people are whining about origin, day one dlc and the ending apparently.

• @Abyss_Worm: In the grand scheme of responses to complaints that I've seen [1], that example is relatively esoteric. I mean that reasoned debate isn't high on these people's priority lists so much as "Get this aching noise out of my ears" is.

You're probably right there, but you can avoid/ignore people who inadvertently annoy you much easier than you can avoid a bully who targets you.

[1]. I wish there was a more concise way of saying that.