If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Men's Rights Movement labeled a 'hate group' by the Southern Poverty Law Center

edited 2012-03-08 20:06:09 in Meatspace
We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Accurate.

• edited 2012-03-08 20:23:56

That's a bit extreme, don't you think?

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

Read the article.

• What the HELL 

• ^^^ you have never been on the men's rights subreddit or seen the bile that comes from there have you.

• edited 2012-03-08 20:24:38

^ Admittedly no.

-reads the article-

Okay, I can see where they're coming from.

"he offered tips on making Molotov cocktails and urged his readers to use them against courthouses and police stations"

Fucking hell.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Self-immolation is pretty terrible, but stuff like this

All he had done, he said, was smack his 4-year-old daughter and bloody her mouth after she licked his hand as he was putting her to bed. Feminist-crafted anti-domestic violence legislation did the rest.

is making it really hard for me to feel sorry for him. Also, blah blah MRA blah blah

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-03-08 21:01:27

Like, someone tell me this is satire.  I may not appreciate their sense of humor but at least I might be able to sleep at night.

• edited 2012-03-08 21:02:02

^^Is it wrong that I found that hilarious? In a blackly comedic way? It's the way he tried to make it seem so trite.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^The dude IS kind of a walking caricature, I gotta say.

• edited 2012-03-08 21:32:38
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Is it just my eyes being opened to an uglier-than-I-once-thought reality, or have ultra-conservative movements around the world gained intensity in the last couple decades, especially the last few years?  Christian fundamentalism, Islamic fundamentalism, violent anti-feminism, violent nativism, xenophobia, violent survivalism, and general beliefs involving desiring to "restore" or rather revert to older societal/ethical/moral systems, ones which almost always involve inequity favoring those who are selfish and defensive?

Edit: I might as well make this a whole separate topic.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I <3 Karl Rove

• edited 2012-03-08 21:49:02
    Loser

The whole "Register-Her" thing especially bothered me, even though the violent stuff is worse. I really do not think the idea of making lists of people you hate ever does much good.

Plus, for as much as the internet helps bring people together in a constructive way, I have to think that it also probably plays a role in helping to organize groups like the MRA by putting people with extreme views in touch with each other. I would think that their discussions tend to reinforce their views and help spread those messed up ideas.

• edited 2012-03-08 21:52:10

"Plus, for as much as the internet helps bring people together in a constructive way, I have to think that it also probably plays a role in helping to organize groups like the MRA by putting people with extreme views in touch with each other. I would think that their discussions tend to reinforce their views and help spread those messed up ideas."

Bingo. The ostracism deterrent isn't as effective when you can find outlets to dodge it.

• ...so I notice you guys haven't been following Manboobz for very long, because you're surprised these guys exist.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

“There are women, and plenty of them, for which [sic] a solid ass kicking would be the least they deserve,” Paul Elam wrote in an essay with the provocative title, “When is it OK to Punch Your Wife?” “The real question here is not whether these women deserve the business end of a right hook, they obviously do, and some of them deserve one hard enough to leave them in an unconscious, innocuous pile on the ground if it serves to protect the innocent from imminent harm. The real question is whether men deserve to be able to physically defend themselves from assault … from a woman.”

ew

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

^^ I used to rely on /r/ShitRedditSays for my MRA shit, but now that they've placed a permanent moratorium on them, I may have to...

• Child of Darkness

What annoys me is that there are legitimate issues that affect men, issues of equality and justice that the feminist movement is not the best equipped to handle (being primarily focussed on the inequality toward and injustice toward women, and this isn't a bad thing; focus is useful).

These nuts make it almost impossible to talk about these things.

(I tend to automatically expand "MRA" to "Male Rape Apologist" in my head.  It disturbs me how often this is accurate.)

• Frankly the rape apology is the least disturbing thing about MRAs.

But otherwise, totally agreed with Morven.

• Interestingly, meanwhile, one of the catchphrases of the feminist movement is 'Patriarchy Hurts Men Too'. Whilst it isn't their focus, it's remarkable how much feminist activism can free things up for men.

• edited 2012-03-11 21:37:21
    No rainbow star

^^^^^ I hope they are mysoginist enough to go, "If a man gets beaten up by a woman, then he deserves it for being a weak pansy" before pissing off some body builders, boxers, etc.

• If your sentence begins "I hope they are mysoginist enough" that's a good sign you should reconsider the rest of the sentence. Especially because that's not how you spell misogynist.

• What's really bizarre is when they go on about how it's white women who are terrible for daring to assert their own identity and how they'd rather FUCK the SHIT out of some sweet, submissive Asian girl. Guess what? Everyone else wants to be treated as a person too.

• I'd hate to break it to them that Asian girls aren't actually any more sweet and submissive than white girls.

Or wait, did I say "hate"? I mean "love".