If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Триумф за коммунизм, товарищи! (Super Tuesday)

edited 2012-03-06 19:07:39 in Politics
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Since we already did threads like this on the important aspects of our nation (Grammys and Oscars), how about one for the one that matters for naught?

Right now the standings are:

AK: nada

GA: 

22% Romneybot,

25%

Froth, 46% Moonman, 5%

Our Lord And Saviour Ron Paul (finís) 

ID: nada

MAnada

ND: nada

OH: 37% Rom, 39% Fro, 15% Moon, 7% OLAS

OK: nada

TN: nada

VT: 39% Rom, 24% Fro, 8% Moon, 27% OLAS (finís)

VA: 59% Rom, 49% OLAS (finís)

WY: nada

Yes, there were only two candidates on the ballot in Virginia. And the fact that Romney couldn't even get 60% of the vote is pretty great. 

Comments

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

MA: 50% Rom, 21% Fro, 7% Moon, 7% OLAS (finís)

OH: 40% Rom, 37% Fro, 14% Moon, 7% OLAS

OK: 24% Rom, 36% Fro, 27% Moon, 9% OLAS

TN: 30% Rom, 42% Fro, 19% Moon, 7% OLAS 

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Eh, if nobody's going to read this then I may as well just point you in the direction of http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/primaries/results/live/2012-03-06

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I guess this is the right time to ask for some clarification regarding the US electoral system. Whoever wins the endorsement in most states is chosen as the party candidate, right? And is there any other step before the final showdown?

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Whoever wins the endorsement in most states is chosen as the party candidate, right?

Not exactly.

Yep, got it now. Thanks.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Every state is different.

by Glenn Magus Harvey

Every state is different.  No two states are the same.

Some states have a winner-take-all primary election.  Arizona has a winner-take-all primary election.

Some states have half their delegates stripped.  Florida has half its delegates stripped.

Some states have a caucus that's been gamed by Ron Paul supporters.  Minnesota has a caucus that's been gamed by Ron Paul supporters.

Some states have a primary election that's missing half the major candidates.  Virginia has a primary election that's missing half the major candidates.

Some states have a meaningless primary election.  Missouri has a meaningless primary election.

Some states have party leaders who can't tabulate ballots correctly.  Nevada has party leaders who can't tabulate ballots correctly.

Some states prevent candidates who suck too much from getting delegates.  Iowa prevented Rick Perry from getting a delegate.

Some states prevent candidates who suck to some significant degree from getting delegates without signing up.  Ohio prevents Rick Santorum from getting delegates because he was too late to put together delegate teams for at least one of its congressional districts.

Some states take over a month to hold all their caucuses.  Maine takes over a month to hold all its caucuses.

Some states award delegates based on the winners in each of the state's congressional districts, plus at-large delegates to the winner of the entire state.  South Carolina awards delegates based on the winners in each of its congressional districts, plus at-large delegates to the winner of the entire state.

Some states award delegates based on the winners in each of the state's congressional districts, plus at-large delegates proportionally alloted to the top finishers, but only in such a way that the party leaders approve.  Michigan awards delegates based on the winners in each of its congressional districts, plus at-large delegates proportionally alloted to the top finishers, but only in such a way that Rick Santorum does not get any more delegates than party leaders would be willing to put up with.

Every state is different.  No two states have an electoral system that does not include idiocy.

Yeah, now that's why I found it so confusing.

america, y u so complicated

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Because federalism.

Well, actually, federalism was just an enabler.  The real reason is because that the USA is built on the principle that everyone can get what they want.  At least, the expectation of this.  The result is a large assortment of slightly different rulesets varying from place to place geographically for various reasons, which are often not standardized due to respect for the past, intent on keeping a legacy, and a bit of dick-waving.

Man, fuck Ohio.

• edited 2012-03-06 23:18:01
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

This past Tuesday, Republican voters in the United States continued to express a strong sense of indecision as to which Republican presidential candidate they disliked the least.

• ф

Republicans for Yawgmoth!